banding vs. cutting 200lb calf

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
i have 200 lb. bull calf that is weaned... wanted to know if it would be better to band it or cut it.... is there a risk of infection if i cut it? banding vs. cutting? please share your opinions and expeirience

seems to be a LOT of threads on this topic, you might do a quick search

having said that I only cut and have cut a lot heavier than that with no problems, never seen an infection although I have had a few bleed too much (always when I stupidly let someone else "help") including I believe 3 deaths out of 20 + years and many hundreds of calves.

Suggest do what is most comfortable for u
I personally band them but at that size either way will work
Whether banded or cut infections are extremely rare
Just do it, check him every day or 2 and don't sweat it
Thousands are done every day with minimal problems

Just my 2 cents worth

We cut - anywhere from birth to up to maybe 700#.
Here's an article: http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_stocke ... index.html

If you band, you need to give the calf a tetenis (sp?) shot. Read the label - most have to be given a few weeks before & at the time of banding. Don't need it if you cut.

One of the benefits of cutting is you get a great meal :banana:

Jeanne and all -
The risk of tetanus is LESS with cutting, vs. banding, but I can assure you that knife-castrated calves can contract tetanus and die. I had one of my own do so 25 years or so ago.
About a 400 pounder that we'd missed earlier in the spring. Cut him and about 2 weeks later, found him 'sawhorsed' out in the pasture. Treated with tetanus antitoxin and massive doses of penicillin, but he didn't make it.
We don't routinely recommend tetanus toxoid vaccination or administration of tetanus antitoxin for calves that are to be knife-castrated - but using a polyvalent Clostridial bacterin with tetanus toxoid in it would not be a bad plan if you wanted to cover all bases.

Lucky_P said:
Jeanne and all -
The risk of tetanus is LESS with cutting, vs. banding, but I can assure you that knife-castrated calves can contract tetanus and die. I had one of my own do so 25 years or so ago.
About a 400 pounder that we'd missed earlier in the spring. Cut him and about 2 weeks later, found him 'sawhorsed' out in the pasture. Treated with tetanus antitoxin and massive doses of penicillin, but he didn't make it.
We don't routinely recommend tetanus toxoid vaccination or administration of tetanus antitoxin for calves that are to be knife-castrated - but using a polyvalent Clostridial bacterin with tetanus toxoid in it would not be a bad plan if you wanted to cover all bases.[/quote]

I agree that would not be a bad plan and might help more than we could ever imagine.

I have 2 suggestions for those knife cutting. 1. keep your knife in alcohol between bulls 2. spray the wound with iodine. 2 simple things, but will avoid a lot of trouble.

Larry

alisonb":3j7m4g9h said:
Ah! Now I know why I was told never to prune the grape vines on a waxing moon ;-) .
Bull grapes, table grapes, wine grapes, they're all pretty much the same