Banding tools

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Which tools are yall liking best for banding the < 3mo old calves and why? A link would be helpful so I can purchase online.

We finally have the cows calving close enough to make it feasible.

Any do-s or don't yall can think off right off the top of your head?

Tri-band bander, by far. Banded hundreds and have never had a band break, up to 400 pounds or so. We give all of ours tetanus antitoxin when we put the band on, and have yet to have a case of tetanus, either. I think you can find one at valleyvet.com, among other places.

For under 3 months, the little banders that use the little green rings would probably work on a lot of the calves. I also have a Tri-bander, but it isn't a whole lot bigger, so for the bigger ones I use an XL-bander. I would give a tetanus vaccine in conjunction with banding.

For 3 months old I'd like the Ideal Instruments Premium bander or something similar. Lock it open. Release when you get two within the circle. Use the little green bands like Ky hills describes. 100 of those bands is around $3. Buy and new bag every year and toss the old ones out to ensure nothing is rotten. The cheaper variety works well.

When they get big enough to require something like a California bander, I just as soon use the knife.

Tetanus protection like ricebelt described is not a bad idea if you go with the knife or bander.

ricebeltrancher":zvd0jv88 said:
Tri-band bander, by far. Banded hundreds and have never had a band break, up to 400 pounds or so. We give all of ours tetanus antitoxin when we put the band on, and have yet to have a case of tetanus, either. I think you can find one at valleyvet.com, among other places.
That gets my vote too

I use the XL on most over a couple months. Bands about $1 each. It works well. Never had any bands break or tetanus issues and don't give a shot for that. Maybe just been lucky?

We use the little green "cheerios" bands for the littler "sets" on a calf, and the "callicrate" bander on the bigger ones. Always give a tetanus toxoid shot with the bigger bander. It's only 1 cc in the individual bottles. And if they are close to "bigger" and still can use the green bands, we will give a tetanus toxoid shot too. Cheap insurance. We have never had a problem or lost a calf that way. Have had several "vet cut" and have nearly lost some due to excessive bleeding. So I just said, enough. Also do try to watch the moon phases. We don't band when it is coming full moon. Wait til it is going into last quarter to new moon.

I've had my best success banding @ birth, less stress on them and me. I just spray their cord with some Iodine, count to two and band. No shots or anything and have never had a problem yet.

dun":1xq9jmj6 said:
ricebeltrancher":1xq9jmj6 said:
That gets my vote too

I have 3 size of banders for everything up to 700lbs. The largest two are tri-banders.

I use a blackleg vaccine with tetanus.

I also use tri-bander. Works just fine. I try to band right around 1 day after birth.

fasttommy":1qnmbdfa said:
I also use tri-bander. Works just fine. I try to band right around 1 day after birth.
We try to. Our process at birth is weigh, tag, check sex, dip navels, oral calf guard and band. Depending on the level of snot being discharged some steps may be skipped until first work up when we have them in the chute away from momma.

With day olds most don't give tetanus, but if you give a shot at birth, why not? It's cheap insurance, and if you lose just one calf, then you will be throwing away a $500 weaned calf. For a $2.00 shot? If you already have it caught up it's not that big a deal.

I was under the impression that a tetanus toxoid shot at the time of banding/cutting was useless. Although now that I think of it, I suppose the window of time prior to the sack falling off is adequate time for the toxoid to go into effect.

fasttommy":1xj0jifg said:
I was under the impression that a tetanus toxoid shot at the time of banding/cutting was useless. Although now that I think of it, I suppose the window of time prior to the sack falling off is adequate time for the toxoid to go into effect.
Mine get one tetanus two weeks before cutting/banding. One the day of.

Roc":2pznqond said:
Is tetanus shot really necessary even with all rubber bands?

For what it's worth my vet has seen 2 cases in 25 years. This info is coming from his assistant who has worked for him for 8 years or so.

Latest posts