Banding - Too Young??

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3t24jgrw said:
I wasss told by a couple of different feedlot operators that the reaon they didn;t like banded calves is because of the incidence of stags. ..................... We're lucky that our vet is on the fair board and vouvhes for our calves that even though most are banded that they don;t have a retained nut.
It's gotten to the point now that it isn;t even a issue for us.

dun
==============
dunn,
Sorry I don't understand these two points....would you elaborate.

Thanks..

preston39":v935eryj said:
dun":v935eryj said:
I wasss told by a couple of different feedlot operators that the reaon they didn;t like banded calves is because of the incidence of stags. ..................... We're lucky that our vet is on the fair board and vouvhes for our calves that even though most are banded that they don;t have a retained nut.
It's gotten to the point now that it isn;t even a issue for us.

dun
==============
dunn,
Sorry I don't understand these two points....would you elaborate.

Thanks..

I'm not dun, but his statement seems pretty straight-forward to me. A stag is a bull with only one testical - a fairly common occurance following banding because a lot of people don't seem to be able to count to two - and is a pretty major factor in feedlots being unwilling to buy banded calves. The second point would be that dun's vet knows he can count to two and is willing to vouch for his calves being properly banded because of that fact.

Dusty Britches":3nlq7ut3 said:
So, you advocate doing it yourself? Or, do you advocate letting someone keep non-neutered dogs and letting them breed everything?
Dusty Britches":3nlq7ut3 said:
While I have never banded a dog, I know several people who have successfully done it. These are people who are too cheap to pay a vet to do it.

I advocate being responsible and accountable... If it weren't for my wife and the male pup being hers, I would have probably tried banding it... But, whether I chose to use a vet or do it myself... And whether I would choose to use a knife, a band, or a hammer and anvil, I would not associate it with a price tag...
"Too cheap to pay a vet" doesn't equate to being irresponsible... I would rather think of them as being self sufficient and thrifty..
I would not consider myself anymore cruel or my act anymore inhumane in choosing to band a dog or a bull when purpose is served... Well maybe if I used the hammer and anvil :)

A animal is an animal, if a calf can take the pain of being castrated then a dog can too.

In my opinion, its ignorant to think that a dog is somehow "better" or deserves different treatment than a calf.

Mine are banded as soon as I find them and get a rope thrown around their neck.

Once the decision is made not to let the calf be a bull...most are bred to be steers....

Two in hand....release the band.

Don't do dogs or son-in-laws...thke them to the docs.

just my two bits worth. DMc

People who use cattle castrating devices on pets should probably not own cattle or have pets.

They are a liability to the cattle industry and are the poster children for the likes of P.E.T.A.

If you want to be inhumane to your pets don't post on here pretending to be a cattleman.

AngusLimoX":2azdxd9g said:
People who use cattle castrating devices on pets should probably not own cattle or have pets.

They are a liability to the cattle industry and are the poster children for the likes of P.E.T.A.

If you want to be inhumane to your pets don't post on here pretending to be a cattleman.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

msscamp":1mm92l9r said:
AngusLimoX":1mm92l9r said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:nod: :clap:

Latest posts