Banding question

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie":3fjus70t said:
What be the earliest safe age to band bull calves?.......george

The day they are born. Any earlier would be not be safe. ;-)

MikeC":3rhs5mid said:
Rookie":3rhs5mid said:
What be the earliest safe age to band bull calves?.......george

The day they are born. Any earlier would be not be safe. ;-)

Gee, I be glad ya told me. I NEVER woulda thought that :stop:

Rookie,

There is another thread on this with good extensive comments of just a few weeks ago. You may wish to do a search.....would be to bad to miss all the opinions assembled.

Hi Rookie,

We are now double banding them before they are 36 hours old.

Every year we have a few rubber bands that break and then we have a steer/bull making the cows, heifers-and us-- crazy, so now we are trying a simple new method. It will save us the co$t of a vet coming to castrate, steer weight loss, stress and alot of other typical hormonal conflicts that are associated with "equipment failure."

Not to mention that private buyers that come to the farm to BUY steers never chose the half steer to buy--even though he is always the largest.

One extra 4cent rubber band will make a mountain of difference.

So far, so good.

CowCop":374alhq8 said:
We are now double banding them before they are 36 hours old.

Every year we have a few rubber bands that break.......

What kind of bands are you using that break?

I use thr tri-bander and the bands made for it. They seem quite a bit stronger than the cherrio bands. I haven't had any trouble so far, but I've only used it one year and I didn't have very many to band.

I usually band @ 4+ months using the EZE bander, but sometimes a late calf will be small enough to use the cheerio bander. When using those bands I have over the past couple of yrs used two bands rather than one (both for the possibility of breakage & to increase the "squeeze forces"). I had one break shortly before switching to this double band process. Not much of an insurance premium! :)

Latest posts