Banding Problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

So from what I'm reading, is it safe to say that the all around best time to band bull calves is about 3 months of age? Maybe that keeps the young calf sucking momma with no distractions or discomfort and also less stressful than banding or cutting at 600#. I've been making steers for a long time and I'm still trying to figure out the best way. I normally cut them at weaning (500#-650#) with few issues other than the occasional bleeder.

So from what I'm reading, is it safe to say that the all around best time to band bull calves is about 3 months of age? Maybe that keeps the young calf sucking momma with no distractions or discomfort and also less stressful than banding or cutting at 600#. I've been making steers for a long time and I'm still trying to figure out the best way. I normally cut them at weaning (500#-650#) with few issues other than the occasional bleeder.
I will always argue that the day they are born is the best. If it can be done safely.

Kenny is right but for me two months to me seems the ideal size to band and give the first round of shots, tag and implant. Saying that, that age is for the majority of the calves and actual age may range from a couple days old to 3 months. A lot of my decisions are based on when they rotate into the pasture that has the best pens.

Kenny is right but for me two months to me seems the ideal size to band and give the first round of shots, tag and implant. Saying that, that age is for the majority of the calves and actual age may range from a couple days old to 3 months. A lot of my decisions are based on when they rotate into the pasture that has the best pens.
Very similar. Used to band at birth but now band when we work them at appx. 3 months, which happened to be last Sunday. Lucky for me, my calving window was pretty much 6 weeks this year with only one surprise bull calf born after that (and one more slacker cow due any time). That said, my decision on when to band/work the herd is based entirely on Mother Nature (who's been a total witch) and when my crew is available. I shut off some of the pastures, but they round 'em up on horseback.

A while back we banded some calves, some were too large for the little green bands, so used the tri bander on a couple. I didn't make note of how long it took to fall off, but did have two that had been bottle calves and one was banded with the green and on with the tri bander. They were being kept in a lot so they could have access to feed, so I saw them more to notice the progression. The one done with the tri band came off around a week before the one with the green band. We also used the larger XL bander for a calf around 400 lbs. We had debated leaving him a bull, as the plan is to feed him out to process this fall, but decided to go on and band him in case we run the calves for beef with any heifers until ready to pen them to feed out.
He was quite developed and the banding process has progressed as fast as the smaller calves it seems.

Interesting thread, I don't disagree with banding early if it works for your program but being in the purebred business we keep the calves intact until weaning first Trip through the chute we take scrotal measurements and weights and give first round of shots. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...FhlVpiD9lNJeaQYG3d-fLgbQ_6s23k6gaAm22EALw_wcB, https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...XXXrHC5crZu6Y6czgPg9C3osiocS1HtQaAjPJEALw_wcB, https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...sZyfNBaXAoExTvJ5AIX2L6vU1yKrIaAircEALw_wcBand an injectable wormer then three weeks later we run them through the chute again at this point I have enough performance data to make selections as to who gets to stay a bull and who doesn't. They all get a booster of the above so when they are banded they have a second round of tetanus in them. Oh we also on the first round through give a pinkeye vaccine but that one doesn't require a booster. We use to give a tetanus shot at the time of banding had done it that way for years with no issues. A couple years ago found a calf in a world of hurt he had been banded a week or two prior and sure nuff had lock jaw that was when we made the change to covixen to make sure we have plenty immunity. Nothing makes me feel worse than losing one when it is a management error, we work really hard to get it right.

Last edited:
Excellent conversation in this thread. I think I prefer the California bander and then the tri banders. I will try to remember to do a comparison of the two when I band in a few weeks. See which is faster and which falls off first. I'm hitting them at about 300 pound average this year.

Excellent conversation in this thread. I think I prefer the California bander and then the tri banders. I will try to remember to do a comparison of the two when I band in a few weeks. See which is faster and which falls off first. I'm hitting them at about 300 pound average this year.
Or you could knife cut them and they fall off instantly.

I agree at birth is probably ideal. However, spring is my busiest time. And isn't an option. I have the bull pulled right now. Putting him back in Mid June. Tired of soppy wet and cold calves.

Ideally i will be banding these around 300 pounds.

All but 1 didn't seem to be phased by the bands thankfully.

Bring me to another question.

When traders buy 8 and 10 weight bulls, do they knife them or band or what?
We used to buy some big cutter bulls and we always banded them with a California bander (get it tight) and split the sack up the middle about half way. Splitting the sack keeps it from swelling up so much and it dries up faster . Any way you do it is hard on them at that stage but this is probably the best option.

To those of you that use the Cheerios bands at birth, do you administer a tetanus antitoxin? I have only banded one calf but we will have more cows due to calve at the end of the year. I'd like to be prepared!

I am a PB breeder also, but, unlike @gizmom I do not sell a lot of bulls. We cheerio band at birth anything over 100# - pedigree doesn't enter the picture at that point. They are all good pedigree. "IF" we decide a bull calf is not growing well and that decision is made early, we will band him also, but anything that gets some size to them, gets cut if we decide not to keep as a bull.

My husband and I disagree on this. I purchased the Callicrate Pro bander as I was undecided about a couple of bulls and what to do with them. He prefers to use the XL at 3 months- I prefer to band at a later date- 6 to 8 months-and through using both banders have never had an issue with tetanus or size or infection. We do not give a tetanus shot or pain medication or slit the sacks. We are in a colder climate and that seems to take care of any issues.

My husband and I disagree on this. I purchased the Callicrate Pro bander as I was undecided about a couple of bulls and what to do with them. He prefers to use the XL at 3 months- I prefer to band at a later date- 6 to 8 months-and through using both banders have never had an issue with tetanus or size or infection. We do not give a tetanus shot or pain medication or slit the sacks. We are in a colder climate and that seems to take care of any issues.
How many cattle do you run? You'll have issues eventually.

Latest posts