banding (please reply " dun and la4angus" )

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 300 to 400 lb. bull, I want ot band him but all I have is a banding tool for small calves, I've seen reports that some people have used these and done fine, I would like to have your opinion and anyone else's.

we've used the cheerio bander for calves that size. you may have to work a little harder & put one nut through at a time but it can be done. we also give a tetanus shot to calves that big.

What is a cheerio bander, does it imply those little green rubber "cheerio" type rings that go on the scrotum?

STEVE bANKS":1hw5pg53 said:
What is a cheerio bander, does it imply those little green rubber "cheerio" type rings that go on the scrotum?

yes, the bander w/the little green rubber rings.

A lot depends on the calf. When we banded at 1 1/2 to 2 months we had 3 calves this year that had such large fatty scrotums that I couldn't even get the scrotum into the band. We've banded 300 lb calves with no problem with the same rings. We ended up knifeing those three.
If they won't fit you either have to use the larger type of banders, we've used those on 700 lb calves, or use a knife.
At that size if you band give them a tetanaus shot

dun

Latest posts