banding new bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
So far we have two bull and two heifer calves out of the bred heifers we bought with 4 more to calve. I got one banded with the help of my friend but yesterday I just couldn't get the newest bull calf banded. The reason? I just couldn't find nut #2! Are they so under-developed this early that sometimes you just can't find them?

Also--what are some ways/tricks some of you band at birth by yourself or alone with no help? Mom isn't a problem with this one. I need a new technique where I can band by myself--be specific please.

Do you not have a squeeze chute? If so run him n there and follow right behind him. If not try to sneek attack him when he's sleeping and pin him on the ground. I'm always impressed with how strong a new baby is.

Lots of opinions on banding calves early. Most pros and cons I read on here make valid points for either.
I band my calves by myself. Just easier for me. Depending on the circumstances I usually band after the first 24 hr bonding period. I try to catch them during a nap time. I stradle the calf and cover the head. If the calf can't see most times he will be calmer. At such an early age the seeds can be a little harder to find as he will pull them up. I just go slow and milk them down if need be.

fitz

How I band alone? I have a 10 foot rod with a 2 1/2 inch hook in the end of it. Soft poly tube slid over the hook. Since I am on foot and in open pasture, roping is not practical. Slip up behind them and hook a hind foot. Hand over hand up the rod and grab them. Flip them on their side and a knee on them. Pull the bander out of the hip pocket. Soft tie rope in my breast pocket just in case something else is needed. (I have lost the tagger or bander before).

Without a tie to the feet their back leg is pulled up and pinched in my arm pit. Knee of chest. Bandeezer is in that hand. Other hand is totally free to pull scrotum and feel for TWO lumps. If there are not two lumps I gently push on the stomach area and squeeze them into the scrotum. I flip the catch off of the bandeezer when I have them both. Once the band is set I double check (feel) for two.

Then I put the ear tag on before releasing the little booger.

Detail enough? I ain't saying its the right way to do it. Just saying what works for me.

If I have them in the alley, I rope the calf. Then I do everything pretty much the same way as previously described. Been doing it this way for a long time.

I can catch the wild calves out of the truck window with that rod. Challenge then becomes putting the truck in park and getting out the door while holding tension with the left hand.

I calve year round. It is not practical to pen the herd and run them thru the pens and chutes for 5 or so calves. I have 3 squeeze chutes and portables too.

Catching them at birth makes it real easy but I do not always find them on day 1.

Sometimes the nuts don't totally descend until they are a day old. We keep all of our bull calves intact until weaning, that way we can determine which ones have enough potential to make a solid bull. The ones that aren't quite up to par are castrated and put into our beef program for 18 months until they are finished.

It has been my experience that if they aren't both descended on day 1 they probably never will. Some are partially descended and sometimes you can get those ones, but the ones that are up high usually will require surgery.

Sometimes one just pops back up when you pull them down . Keep trying until you can get both or the other way that works well is sneak up on them when they are sleeping (as was said), the blood flow is more even and you can usually pop on the band before they know what is happening .

When they are older it is easier to grab 2 if they are standing up . I back them into a corner head first and straddle them with but end out applying pressure with my knees to keep them in place and not fidget .Tail moved and resting on your forearm reaching from behind and other hand with bander underneath . Bring both down gently , hold and then place bander over and release .