Banding Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":3ab4s2pj said:
You might ought to reevaluate how good your bulls grow...

You're the last person on this site I would take bull advice from you toolbag. uhhh that one came from curly the bull because his father had a curly tail...So I know all those calves are his. :roll:

edit... but I've got 205 day steers at 800+ lbs if you'd like to compare genetics.

Soon as they hit the ground. Shot of covexin, ear tag and done. I have read enough studies and talk to enough people that say banding at birth causes no difference in weight gain. I have also done studies of my own. If one were to do better than the other, it would be the banded calf. No setback as with a cut calf

Double Clutch":3hoi0gl5 said:
Day one or two they are easy to catch
Most, right out the back end, but at day 2, some can out run a deer and turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change, even if they have no idea where they are going or why they're running.

I banded 4 today that I had missed they were way bigger than any I have ever banded close to 6mo. old. Gave then tetanus shot and used one of them ratchet type banders. This was my first time to do any this big and hopefully my last. It is way less work on me and not near as hard on them to put one of them little green bands on them in the first couple days after they are born.

Supa Dexta":3fqn9e3m said:
Studies have shown any weight gain is negligible, over banding at birth - as they get set back more then, than they do at birth. Harder to handle, more stress and chance for problems when older too.

I leave some purebred bulls to see what they turn into - they don't outdo the steers as a group,

Yup, the extra testosterone really only makes a significant difference from puberty onwards.

BRYANT":pdetlsuc said:
if you band when they are older do ay of you slit the bottom of the sack. seem to make them fall off much faster

Banding big cutting bulls really sets them back. I have tried running them through the chute after a week and then cutting the dead stuff off. Nasty nasty work. Not a fan.

cowboy43":2m5jtiq5 said:
If a 500 lb calf was banded, how long would it take to heal so it could be sold at the auction.

I banded some on the 15th and 16th of Sept. and almost all of them had fallen off by the 16th of Oct.
I also did it in the correct moon sign.

like I said I never band them this big. was the first time,. this is one that has been banded for 6 days . looks a little swelled above band but other than that looks like he is drying up. is this normal the swelling?

On the larger calves after banding we will cut the sack off about half an inch below the band 7 days after applied. I found this method in Gordon Hazard's book. By then there is no blood flow, this will increase healing time and prevent infection. I have been banding our commercial stock that way ever since. Make sure he gets the tetanus shot.

Latest posts