Banding Bull Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TMR

Reaction score
We've tried something new for us this year and I have a question. We waited to band our bull calves ( getting ready to do this ) until they were around 400 lbs. We have a friend who does this locally and he recommended this to us. We normally band within 1 week of birth. Can anyone recommend the name of a good banding unit ( brand name )? Your help will be appreciated.

We use the Callicrate bander. We give the tetanus toxoid and a shot of penicillin.

We also use the callicrate bander and band at about 600#. We have done some as small as 350# with it too. They must have had 2 shots of an 8 way vaccine (which includes tetanus) BEFORE banding to give then adequate protection. Read the label directions for the interval needed between each injection. If you desire giving a 3rd shot at the time of banding for peace of mind, that's your choice.

TMR

We use the california bander. It works great on 250lb+ calves & yearlings. Tool cost us $29.95 & bands are $0.85 each.

Here's a link:

http://inosol.com/

We give tetanus toxoid at banding. Have had no problems in 4 + years.

That's my 2 cents worth.

We had a bull calf this spring we wanted steered( bought him intact) I researced this very thing and just couln't find an inexpensive way to do one calf. Read a lot about waiting till they were bigger and benefits of that too. To make a long story short we decided to castrate him. No flies yet and went really well. Now our policy is just to band them young, easier, cleaner, etc.

Do you all feel its as effective to band them at that older age and weight? What I mean is, is it as succesful as castrating them?

Have a great evening

JMR

The Elastrators work really well. Some of my friends find them a little easier to use but i use the old knife method since i castrate my calves once the testies drop down.

I don't recommend banding at all. I've seen lots of disasters with them (tetanus, massive infection, ineffectiveness). If you're going to band, don't band anything heavier than 250 lbs. I cut all my bull calves and give them a tetanus antitoxin. I've cut calves up to 800 lbs before and never had a problem.

The times I have seen guys have trouble banding big cattle it was because they didn't get the band tight enough and for that reason I would only recomend the callicrate bander it has an indicator to tell when the band is tight enogh.On the bigger cattle they should have the antitoxin and penicillin.The instructions say toxoid but on the bigger ones the antitoxin works better.
Larry

Latest posts