Banding bull calves - effect on weight gain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Had the opportunity to buy some 300-400lb bull calves. They are SLIM. Buying them off farm, been on nothing but small amount of hay. Plan on banding, worming, vacc. Think I read where banding takes about 4 - 6 weeks. Will this inhibit their weight gain during this time period??

Arkieman":37kt93kb said:
Had the opportunity to buy some 300-400lb bull calves. They are SLIM. Buying them off farm, been on nothing but small amount of hay. Plan on banding, worming, vacc. Think I read where banding takes about 4 - 6 weeks. Will this inhibit their weight gain during this time period??

Some folks band; some folks cut. Calves that big, I would cut. Which ever you do, will be better to get it done soon before summer arrives and flies will be a problem soon. By being bulls this long, they've already went through a large part of their life that is advantageous for weight gain. Too bad they didn't get more nutrition during that period.

they prolly will not work,the bulls are to big,i would cut them also at that size,i have never used the bigger bands,the bigger they are the longer it takes for them to come off

Just spoke w/ vet - said cut 'em! Said he would charge me $25 call and $2.50/head to cut 'em. Never cut 'em before - helped Papaw cut hogs when I was a kid - but they don't kick as hard as a 400lb bull!!! I don't have a squeeze chute or anything.... Thinking it may be money well spent..

Arkieman":55u4cedl said:
Just spoke w/ vet - said cut 'em! Said he would charge me $25 call and $2.50/head to cut 'em. Never cut 'em before - helped Papaw cut hogs when I was a kid - but they don't kick as hard as a 400lb bull!!! I don't have a squeeze chute or anything.... Thinking it may be money well spent..
$25 service call an $2.50 a hd to cut.i wouldnt think twice.id let the vet cut those bulls.

Arkieman":1npr1w8x said:

We've cut and banded calves at this weight, as well as heavier weights - some it knocks back for a day or so, some it doesn't phase a bit. Considering their background, and the fact that you are going to be worming and vaccinating at the same time, I would be prepared for them to be knocked back.

Vet said worm/vaccinate then let them get their feet under them and month later when give the followup booster call him and he will cut. Said they should do much better under that format. Doing it all at one time may really knock them back. Good idea...

Arkieman":3zmmo8yk said:
Vet said worm/vaccinate then let them get their feet under them and month later when give the followup booster call him and he will cut. Said they should do much better under that format. Doing it all at one time may really knock them back. Good idea...

I'm glad you reached a resolution on this. I also think I would tip that vet. Vets like that one are getting rare. Ensure you stay in good repore with him/her.

To answer your previous question, yes those little green bands will work just fine. But for the deal you struck with the vet, proceed with that plan for bulls of that age.

I band mine when they are new born.

Latest posts