Banding and tetanus question

Help Support CattleToday:

KT531

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here to this forum and to cattle in general. I've got three bull calves that are about to be banded. I've got a good idea on the difference between the antitonix and toxoid tetanus shots but am still a little unsure after reading a bunch on the topic. My question is would just using the antitoxin be good enough to get the job done? I am trying to get it done this week so I can move them out to my friends pasture, so I don't really have the time that the toxoid takes to start working.. My other thought was could I give both at the time of banding, that way the antitoxin would work until the toxoid kicks in and then they should be good to go? Thanks in advance for any help!

Tetanus resulting from banding is not going to manifest itself until the band causes some necrosis which will open the scrotum and provide a pathway for the spore to enter the body. You should have protection in 3 to 4 weeks with the toxoid. I band in the first week after birth so I don't give any shots to my baby calves. I have watched my calves closely after banding. 75% of the time, the scrotum has atrophied with no necrosis. The ones that developed necrosis at the site of the band, did not occur until about 4 to 6 weeks after banding. This has been my personal experience so I am comfortable with what I am doing. I have noticed that necrosis occurs when I have located the band higher on the scrotum. I now place the band over the scrotum, pull down and hold the testicles, them release the band just about the testicles. If you use the antitoxin, remember it may wear off after about 14 days. Then if necrosis occurs and the spores enter, your steer is not protected. I like your logic on using both but for me, until it is broke I am not going to fix it. I give my calves a toxoid shot at two to three months of age when I start them on the Clostridial 7 way blackleg vaccination.

I would get a knife and cut them ! because unless you give a second shot they can still die. been there done that had a friend that swears by those big bands. i bought some calves from him we gave them a shot banded them I lost 2 from tetanus horrible thing to see, vet said you would be better off to cut them then they drain out and get over it quicker.

You can give BOTH at the same time - just don't give the two injections in the very same spot - the antitoxin will provide some immediate protection, while the toxoid will stimulate the animal to make its own antibodies; I'd still recommend giving the booster of toxoid, as recommended on the label.

The only case of tetanus I've ever experienced in my own personal cattle was in a 400 lb bull that I knife-castrated, while I was still in veterinary school. So... banding doesn't have the market cornered on the tetanus front, though the vast majority of cases that I've seen in cattle over the years have been associated with banding.

inyati13":1vot4na6 said:
Tetanus resulting from banding is not going to manifest itself until the band causes some necrosis which will open the scrotum and provide a pathway for the spore to enter the body. You should have protection in 3 to 4 weeks with the toxoid. I band in the first week after birth so I don't give any shots to my baby calves. I have watched my calves closely after banding. 75% of the time, the scrotum has atrophied with no necrosis. The ones that developed necrosis at the site of the band, did not occur until about 4 to 6 weeks after banding. This has been my personal experience so I am comfortable with what I am doing. I have noticed that necrosis occurs when I have located the band higher on the scrotum. I now place the band over the scrotum, pull down and hold the testicles, them release the band just about the testicles. If you use the antitoxin, remember it may wear off after about 14 days. Then if necrosis occurs and the spores enter, your steer is not protected. I like your logic on using both but for me, until it is broke I am not going to fix it. I give my calves a toxoid shot at two to three months of age when I start them on the Clostridial 7 way blackleg vaccination.

The key to not banding them too his is simple. If you have a teat below the band it is too high. That's the minimum. Ideally it is just high enuf to catch both nuts!

The key to not banding them too his is simple. If you have a teat below the band it is too high. That's the minimum. Ideally it is just high enuf to catch both nuts![/quote]

Good advice right there...

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, I'm going to go ahead and band them since I've got all the supplies to do it, and I'll go ahead and give both the toxoid and anti shots just to be safe now that I know that it's alright I do that.

Latest posts