Banded calf

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
Hi All,
What do you think of this? We have 2- 9 month old calves that we banded w/ the Callicrate Bander. After about 6 weeks the scrotums had not fallen off so we cut them off below the band & then removed the bands.(Last weekend). Knowing that we left the bands on too long, the skin was starting to get a bit irritated around the band. I believe we banded too close to the body so there isn't a whole lot of extra skin there now. Both calves are healing & scabbing over, but they have a quarter to 50-cent piece size opening that is not healing over yet. They are not draining or oozing anything. The areas are not looking infected or pink & irritated. Just a bit "open". Do you all think they will heal ok? or should we hose them off & give them some LA just to be safe. Of course, these steers are supposed to go to their new home this comming weekend. I sprayed them a couple of times with antiseptic wound spray, and one of the calves licks it off the other one.

Yep they'll heal fine. I wouldn't even mess with them - I've found it can take 4-8 weeks, and yes, they will look infected towards the end. If something else were to happen, say the calf were acting sick (appetite and attitude), then I'd be concerned...but so far I haven't run across that. *knock on wood*

Myself I wouldn't feel right selling a calf that wasn't 100%.
Not a problem that I'd worry about if they were in the next years production line up and stayed on the farm. If the area isn't infected I wouldn't give LA or any other antibiotic, I'd wash with betadine and keep an eye on them, should scab over and heal normally...if you're worried just close them with a few sutures.

Thank You all for your input. They are both looking much better today- they're healing well.