Banded calf is swollen

Help Support CattleToday:

WLee

Reaction score
I banded a 4-month-old bull calf Saturday, along with six others, and this one particular calf's scrotum has swollen while the others have not. (They all got tetanus shots.) I talked with a vet who suggested watching him closely to see if swelling continues, but I'd like to know if anyone out there can share their experience on this problem.

I know sheep producers that cut the sack off after two days to releive the smell. They have small traps. You could cut the sack off and leave the band. I would not worry. Do as you were told and watch if you want.

Scotty

I don't know what type of bander you used, but if the band isn't tight enough there may still be some blood flow. If you used a cheerio bander, this probably isn't the problem. But if you used a bander that you tighten manually, that would be my guess. If that is it, run him in the chute and put a new, tighter band on him.

I have never understood if someone was going to cut the sack off anyway why not cut it from the beginning and not mess with the bander. Seems a lot easier to work 'em once then twice.

If it were my calf, I'd grab a handfull of calf scrotum and check the temperature...warmer than the rst of the animal then there could be infection or worse...a banded testicle....either way you need to take a good close look at the calf.

ChrisB":1sq0hz2d said:
I don't know what type of bander you used, but if the band isn't tight enough there may still be some blood flow. If you used a cheerio bander, this probably isn't the problem. But if you used a bander that you tighten manually, that would be my guess. If that is it, run him in the chute and put a new, tighter band on him.
That's what the vet suggested, and what I did. As for the bander used it was the typical band castrator that uses the small "rubber bands". Today I used the EZE castrator and put the larger band above the smaller one. There wasn't much up there to band, but it's much tighter now. As for cutting when the scrotum is swollen, like someone mentioned above, the vet warned against it because he said the calf would most likely bleed to death in this condition. This is the first problem I've had in over 40 calves banded (some 500-600lbs), so I'm sticking with bloodless castration.

Hmm, we always cut our calves - NEVER band, but I was curious, if they are banded, doesn't that keep the blood from flowing into the sack?? How would they bleed if you cut the sack?
Also, I agree, why would anyone cut the sack off after banding? :shock: I had never heard anyone did that.

We just recently had this same problem for the first time. It was the first time we tried banding an older calf. We dosed with LA 200. Took a few days but everything turned out ok. Didn't care for the experience though so will stick with banding at birth as much as possible. The only other trouble we had was when we got in a hurry and banded too tight to the belly. If things get too bad you may need to cut the band and then cut the calf. Let us know how it turns out.

I have used a Callicrate bander on several 6 month old calves and have very good success with it. I give a tetanus shot, too.

I know it is important not to get to close to the body with the band!

I,ve been told that the area will swell if the band isn't tight enough.

Latest posts