banded bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We bought some simmental/angus feeders that are about 600 pounds. They were supposed to be banded, but we have a couple that the previous owner only got one of the testicles down when the band was put on. The only requirements to be able to band is the ability to count to two, but for some people I guess that is a problem. Anyway, I can see the other testicle in what is left of the sac and was thinking about running the calves through the headgate and cutting the other testicles out. Has anyone ever tried this before or any ideas? Also, since it is may, if I cut them, will flies be a problem? Last, does anyone out there band calves throughout the summer, and if so, do you run into fly problems there? Thanks for any help!

Unless you're handy with sutures it's pretty much a vet job. It will leave an opening unlike the one from a normal castration. The main reason we band is because of the fly situation during the summer.

dun

Anonymous":24lty53f said:
We bought some simmental/angus feeders that are about 600 pounds. They were supposed to be banded, but we have a couple that the previous owner only got one of the testicles down when the band was put on. The only requirements to be able to band is the ability to count to two, but for some people I guess that is a problem. Anyway, I can see the other testicle in what is left of the sac and was thinking about running the calves through the headgate and cutting the other testicles out. Has anyone ever tried this before or any ideas? Also, since it is may, if I cut them, will flies be a problem? Last, does anyone out there band calves throughout the summer, and if so, do you run into fly problems there? Thanks for any help!

You sure there's a nut in there?
Somtimes that cavity fills with fluid and looks like a nut.
Put them in the squeeze chute to find out for sure.
If this is wrong or if you know better don't be offended.
Somtimes the questions are suprising.
William

were they banded recently or when they were small? it is a touchey situation, i bought some that were banded with the callibrate, day before i bought them. the vet won't cut into them at all. if they are banded and healed along time and the testicle is still inside i would recommend asking a vet before cutting. i do mine when they are small and they have a small pouch of fat or fluid.

The calves in question have the bull looking body configuration, such as head, and they were trying to ride a heifer the other day. I am positive they're both bulls yet. They were supposed to be banded right after birth. When/If we run them through the head gate, I want to get it over with them then. If the nut is in what is left of the sac, couldn't a person slice the end open to get at it or would that not work. My uncle cuts most of his bull calves at about 400-500 pounds and would cut the calves.
If both calves nuts are real easy to get at, it really wouldn't be much of a problem would it, as far as my uncle cutting them instead of the vet? Also would you have to do something to keep flies off, and if so does anyone have any suggestions.

If you can get some old fashioned "pine tar" that would be as good as anything to keep the flies off.

You will be fine. I help a guy that runs a lot of feeder calves and buys them at about 500-600 lbs. He usually gets them as bulls and there is always about 10% that someone has tried to band and missed a nut. We go right ahead and cut them. But after you cut the sack, try to find one of those tools that you can put in a drill and twist the nut out. We have found that there is a lot less blood when you do it that way. Be sure and spray it afterwords to help with infection and flys!

J+

Latest posts