BAND & SLAUGHTER 1000# BULL

Help Support CattleToday:

alot of guys do this to get a better quality meat. caution on the banding when they are that big, you can get infection or tetnus. give them a tetnus prior and after also. i lost two that were not quite that big when banded. the vet said it is riskier the bigger they are banded. odds like 1 out of 100.
> WHAT ABOUT BUYING A YOUNG
> 1000-1300# BULL AT AUCTION THEN
> BANDING HIM, FATTENING HIM AND
> SLAUGHTERING HIM? WILL THE MEAT BE
> ANY GOOD?

[email protected]

> alot of guys do this to get a
> better quality meat. caution on
> the banding when they are that
> big, you can get infection or
> tetnus. give them a tetnus prior
> and after also. i lost two that
> were not quite that big when
> banded. the vet said it is riskier
> the bigger they are banded. odds
> like 1 out of 100.

I read some research out of Texas Tech University about a study of with feeding different animals. The skinny of it came down to the research saying the last 90 days of feed make the difference. I personally wouldn't cut the bulls. Just feed them a grain ration and eat em. The prices of bulls in central Texas right now that are fat are really good. Don't know about your area.

[email protected]

Here's a link to a study done at Oklahoma State Univ. Some of their cited information found that the carcass quality decreased with late castration. <A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/2001rr/48/48.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/research/2001rr/48/48.htm</A>

[email protected]

JAKKE":1a1jzigk said:
WHAT ABOUT BUYING A YOUNG 1000-1300# BULL AT AUCTION THEN BANDING HIM, FATTENING HIM AND SLAUGHTERING HIM? WILL THE MEAT BE ANY GOOD?

[email protected]

I would not band or castrate a bull that heavy, the meat from a bull eats just as good as meat from a steer. The main reason for banding a young bull is, it makes them easier to handle, they do not focus on mating, and the cattle buyers give a better price for steers when going to feedlots.
(A young bull will tear out of a pen to be with a cow in heat).

We just sold a 1300 limo bull and he brought 89 cents a pound. Don't risk the cattle's health or your own for that matter.

Latest posts