Band or cut?

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":kxo4waxt said:
jwtexas":kxo4waxt said:
Do you really cut the bottom all the way off or a slit that runs the whole width along the bottom? Any shots needed at the time to fight infection? Do you spray any thing on the cut?
Cut 'em all the way off. Stretch 'em over your shifter knobs so girls won't want to drive your stuff. I won't name names, but the ones that it don't bother (Sid, Cert, txag, Annie, et al.) are okay to drive your stuff, anyway.

Spray what's left with iodine.

Holy moly here we go again soft hearted cattle owners reach in your pocket and pull that sowbelly out(if you know what that is) cut his gonads off . Hint use the spay blade.

Hi there, I am a new bull calf owner. Last week I purchased a 7 week old Jersey bull. Can you tell me how long I have to have him neutered? I have to find a vet because I don't think that I could do the honors myself.
please excuse me if the terminology doesn't fit the animal :)

beavertrees":3qsxzr4y said:
Hi there, I am a new bull calf owner. Last week I purchased a 7 week old Jersey bull. Can you tell me how long I have to have him neutered? I have to find a vet because I don't think that I could do the honors myself.
please excuse me if the terminology doesn't fit the animal :)

Heck - you can cut the nuts out of him now or later choice is yours. If you have a neighbour that knows what to do ask him to show you.

Best to toughen up a bit if you can - "the honours" will have to be completed every time you buy a new boy for the freezer - unless completed first.

If the ladies on this board can do it, no reason why you cannot.

Bez!

CattleAnnie":1nef2xt5 said:
Holly, here's a pretty basic diagram of castration with a knife/scalpel.

castration.jpg

Take care.

Annie - after the closing statement on your drawing - well, you just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! :lol:

Only thing I do different is to use a pair of surgical scissors to make the horizontal cut - then I rip them out by pulling them straight down. I make less mess that way.

Over the Christmas holidays we wil be finishing another 20 or so - youngest daughter wants to do them - time for lessons in the squeeze again. Hope we get at least one nice day - saves on cold fingers.

I must be sure to invite her boyfriend out to watch. I figure to casually mention that I know how to do this to more than just cows if necessary.

Bez!

eatbeef":1ar0vf1t said:
I am in myn forties neighbors getting together working calves has been an ongoing tradition for generations.
I'm with you eatbeef and I am older than you. It's not an age thing. It's because some just have cowboy in them and some don't.

This bull was an impulse purchase. he will not see the freezer from me so I do not want any hard feelings :D
While at an auction, we sat next to his 'family'. He was raised with 2 goats and fed goat milk. We just happen to have 2 goats (although both withered & dehorned) and he was soooo cute that we had to have him. I just worry because of everything that I have read since his purchase about Jersey bulls and I want to make sure we take care of the nads before they affect his temperment in a negative manner.

beavertrees":22jgrqe7 said:
This bull was an impulse purchase...... he was soooo cute that we had to have him. I just worry because of everything that I have read since his purchase about Jersey bulls and I want to make sure we take care of the nads before they affect his temperment in a negative manner.

Your vet can do this for you. The sooner the better. While castration will help with "bullish" behavior, he will still be a Jersey, he will still grow up to be very big. Even a Jersey steer can be hard-headed and difficult at times, ask anyone who's ever used them as oxen. As he grows up, be sure he is reminded of who the "boss-cow" is....you. What may seem like cute playful behavior from a calf, can quickly become dangerous actions from a 1,000 lb steer. Best to not let the fun and games get out of hand now while he's young. Good luck with him and have a good time learning and watching him grow.

Katherine

Farmhand":24i5a0s1 said:
A pocket knife! Dad and Granddad usually cared oldtimers.

Ah Grasshopper you are correct Sowbelly was a heavy duty stockman that was made by Case years ago and Case reintroduce a few years ago. They had been out of production for 80 years when Case brought them back.

It's amazing how versiatile those things are. Pocket knife and pliars - 2 tools Granddad, Dad, and Hubby are never without.

Latest posts