band castrators

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is the rubber band type castrator a good method of castrating calves? I have a small herd and only produce about 10 calves per year, with just under half being bulls, so it would be much easier for me to catch the newborn calf and use the bander on them instead. Have any of you ever used this method, and if so have you had any trouble with it? Thanks for any info.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

I have nothing against elastrators, the only caution I would give is be absolutely sure you have both testicles in the scrotum when you snap on that elastic. If not, you've just either created a headache for your vet to castrate that remaining testicle later (been there, didn't have fun but got it done) or you've sent a "steer" off which will have bull taint at finish. The other problem I've seen is where the guy cut the band off after he put it on, can't remember why, but I had to amputate this stinking green mess which was leaking serum....because the blood flow was back into devitalized tissue....again, not fun! If you're careful, a great way of getting the job done, IMHO!<br>Good Luck<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

We used them for quite a few years and never had any problems. Just be sure you have both testicles. If you can't find both, you may have to wait a few days for them to drop.<br>
<br>

I've recently read that in some cases a tetanus shot should be given with this method, depending on where you live and what time of year you do the banding, do you recommend this? Thanks for your help.<p>: I have nothing against elastrators, the only caution I would give is be absolutely sure you have both testicles in the scrotum when you snap on that elastic. If not, you've just either created a headache for your vet to castrate that remaining testicle later (been there, didn't have fun but got it done) or you've sent a "steer" off which will have bull taint at finish. The other problem I've seen is where the guy cut the band off after he put it on, can't remember why, but I had to amputate this stinking green mess which was leaking serum....because the blood flow was back into devitalized tissue....again, not fun! If you're careful, a great way of getting the job done, IMHO!<br>: Good Luck<br>: V<p>
<br>

(User Above)":ntkucq5c said:
: I've recently read that in some cases a tetanus shot should be given with this method, depending on where you live and what time of year you do the banding, do you recommend this? Thanks for your help.<br>I personally recommend all cattle to receive an 8-way clostridial vaccine which covers blackleg as well as tetanus in my area, so that already should be covered. Infection leading to tetanus will occur with soil/fecal contamination of area....a dirty scrotum could cause the problem when you're placing the band. But to be honest, none of my clients have had the problem. Hope this helps! Good Luck!<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts