Banamine Transdermal for Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
One of my bulls is out of commission; been searching for him 4 days & finally found him this morning at the lake & completely away from the herd. Favoring his right hind foot & it looks swollen, I suspect foot rot or possibly an abscess. Problem is, I can't get the portable corral & trailer across the dam. Right now, my only option is to hope he'll eat Sustain boluses and I was going to give him Banamine Transdermal but it says Not for use in dairy or beef bulls intended for breeding because reproductive safety has not been evaluated. What, exactly, does that mean? That it could effect the quality of his sperm? He's certainly not working right now anyway (actually, I think most all the cows are already bred) and I still have another bull covering the main herd.

Thoughts? What would you do?

This is where I really like having a medi-dart. If I thought it was foot rot I'd just go out and load him up with the appropriate antibiotic and leave him alone for awhile.
Can you get your hands on such a device?

Consult your vet to use banamine transdermal in an extra label use. The label just means the manufacturer has not tested it on breeding bulls to see whether it affects fertility -- may affect, might not. Need to figure out how actual problem before pouring banamine on though.

One of my bulls is out of commission; been searching for him 4 days & finally found him this morning at the lake & completely away from the herd. Favoring his right hind foot & it looks swollen, I suspect foot rot or possibly an abscess. Problem is, I can't get the portable corral & trailer across the dam. Right now, my only option is to hope he'll eat Sustain boluses and I was going to give him Banamine Transdermal but it says Not for use in dairy or beef bulls intended for breeding because reproductive safety has not been evaluated. What, exactly, does that mean? That it could effect the quality of his sperm? He's certainly not working right now anyway (actually, I think most all the cows are already bred) and I still have another bull covering the main herd.

Thoughts? What would you do?
You're on the right track.
It means the same as on the label on Long Range i.e. Its cheaper to put that on the label than it is to do the research to be cleared for use in bulls.

I talked to the vet I used to work for about LR when it first came out. He said that to prove that there was no reproductive side effects to LR the company would have had to semen check a cross section of bulls (100's of them) weekly for the duration of the product. Everyone knows how much fun semen checking is. Can you imagine checking 100's of bulls weekly that had just had it done last week? They probably couldn't find anyone willing to do it. Lol.

I have used Bannimine Trans on several bulls. Have never seen any negative side affects. It sure beats getting a lame hot cranky bull up out of the pasture and in a chute to jab him.

Vet said to go ahead & use it, especially since he clearly isn't "working" right now. And they do have a dart gun I can borrow if he won't eat the Sustains. That said, the herd is moving towards the lake and since it appears he wants to be alone, he'll probably make his way back, which would give me a better chance to get him in. In a perfect world, he'd be like one of my old bulls that would get in the trailer any time, any where. A girl can dream.

@bird dog yes, I put him with my other 3 year old bull this year & keep track of which cow(s) are getting bred every day. Initially, I thought he got a whoopin' and went off to hide/pout/regain his confidence. Looked for 4 hours Sunday before I found him. He seemed fine but was laying so far under a cedar tree, I couldn't even get to him unless I crawled (seemed like a bad idea). And then, I couldn't find him until this morning. They currently have access to 360 acres with a lot of woods, draws, hills, quintessential needle in the haystack if they don't want to be found. I spent a lot of time looking up, for buzzards.

Wish me luck!

Woohoo, game on! Ate all the Sustain boluses with cubes, even threw in a scoop of mineral with CTC for good measure. As you can tell from the blotches along his back, I did a horrible job with the transdermal, but he's the only bull I've ever had that isn't a hand-feeder. He's very docile & easy to work, but we have an unspoken agreement to maintain a respectful distance. Plus, he's deep in the woods and my escape route was limited to essentially nothing except climbing a tree. As opposed to Woody, my bull with foot rot last year that let me dig between his toes with a screwdriver and hand-feed Sustain - just standing there in the pasture. Anyway, fingers crossed!IMG_20210617_162003182.jpg

treating bulls is never fun, even with the docile ones..

When I got Hector back, first week of breeding he cut his foot, thankfully he was tolerant of me putting some iodine on it and it never gave him any issues

20190516_100136.jpg

Hope yours gets better now

Probably not foot rot? Just a whoopin and a sore foot or maybe the sore foot and then the whoopin when he was handicapped.

Well, it's an abscess. But opened & draining on its own and, surprisingly, doesn't seem to be bothering him that much - he's currently focused one of the cows. Gonna move the portable corral & try to get him in but will hit him with the Transdermal in the meantime.

How often is he getting banamine? I try to minimize use because I understand it can have some side effects to rumen function . . . maybe two or three days between treatments and discontinue as soon as possible. Usually do text consults with my vet before using.

Latest posts