Baling with a power reverser trans.

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Baled with my JD5100 for the first time today. It did very well but my question is it easier on it to use the clutch or the reverser lever. I tried it both ways and didn't notice a big difference either way. Was just curious if anyone has noticed an effect on durability or longevity either way. I was amazed how smooth it is under full power with using just the lever. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

herefordlover":22lusy2g said:
I always use the clutch on our 7520 maybe habit but i like to have controle when it goes to back uo if i wanna take it easy
I've got a 5093E and I use the clutch too. Just seems smoother and more predictable for direction changes.

The 5065M here is smooth as silk when using just the Power Reverser. Wife and I test drove a 5085E the other day and nearly gave us whiplash when just using the Power Reverser, don't know if they need to reprogram the modulation on it or what but there's no way one could use the PR on that particular 5085E without clutching.

I have no idea on the internal workings of that tractor, but on an old JD350B crawler, the 'clutch' pedal actuates the same sets of clutches as the reverser stick does, it doesn't have any dry clutch on the engine, just a pair of wet clutches (one for forward, one for reverse) in the transmission.... Perhaps it's the same on these tractors.

Ive got a john deere 5525 with power reverser and it seems like most of the time id use the clutch when baling. I think its habit for one because all the other tractors ive used didnt have the pr, but i think its also do the fact i like control of being able to ease into windrows and such.

Thanks for the input. I tend to use the clutch more too. I don't usually have to back up so it is more just knock it in neutral then flip it back in forward when tie cycle is done.

Nesi,
It doesn't have a dry clutch so you may very well be right. I just don't have a really good grasp on how a wet clutch works. That is I guess what I was looking for is does it matter.

Also when I am using it in back and forth a lot I do use the reverser a lot but tend to try to slow or stop it before changing directions. I know that it's not necessary just seems it is a little easier on it. Someone who really understands how it works may be able to explain why it doesn't matter.

SmokinM":24z3o8fb said:
Thanks for the input. I tend to use the clutch more too. I don't usually have to back up so it is more just knock it in neutral then flip it back in forward when tie cycle is done.

Nesi,
It doesn't have a dry clutch so you may very well be right. I just don't have a really good grasp on how a wet clutch works. That is I guess what I was looking for is does it matter.

Also when I am using it in back and forth a lot I do use the reverser a lot but tend to try to slow or stop it before changing directions. I know that it's not necessary just seems it is a little easier on it. Someone who really understands how it works may be able to explain why it doesn't matter.
I always back up about 10 feet when I kick out the bale. Makes it easier, for me, to get lined up with the middle of the windrow and the baler to start the next bale.

If the tractor is jerking with the power reverser then it needs adjusting. Our 6100D began to jerk going into reverse while still under warranty. It was an easy fix, no computer needed. Not sure how to recalibrate the 5000 series or if it is the same.
I coast to a stop when the buzzer goes off and the bale begins to wrap. I flip the reverser to neutral. When I begin to go forward to bale again, I use the lever with the clutch out. That is the smoothest way I have found, especially with the baler going at high RPM's. It just glides back up to desired speed.

I just use the lever on my jd 5510.on them tractors , lever or clutch just works a valve.it does not make a difference.

Latest posts