Baling swasi

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
It seems like a month ago but I guess it's been only a week or so since I started baling a 110 acre pasture of grass known as "swasi". From the bit of research I've done on the plant, it appears to have been introduced into Venezuela in just the last few decades. While it serves as a general pasture feed for livestock, most of the use it gets in my area is a feed for horses. Here it ranks second to bermuda in popularity.

Anyway, after cutting my baling teeth on bermuda, swasi turned out to be an entirely different animal to bale. This particular pasture was not cut for the entire growing season and the plant coverage is now a thick mat of material. I'll post some photos to give you guys some idea of the conditions and challenges.

Here's a close-up of plant material as I found it.
100_3745.jpg

This shot shows what swasi looks like standing and after it's been cut. For the record, it's so dry here now that I can cut and bale the same day.
100_3748.jpg

I use a tedder on my bermuda and always am pleased with the results. That was not the case with swasi. Here's a shot of the ugliest windrows known to man.
100_3749.jpg

After that first failure (the tedder experience), I decided I'd just pick it up right off the ground. Here's a shot of swasi "carpet" feeding into the baler.
100_3763.jpg

Check out this shot. We've had strong winds for days now and along the edges where I'd baled previously, this stuff just rolls up.
100_3837.jpg

When I made those first windrows I told my guys I had at least 1000 bales to be made. Again, I was thinking bermuda, and again, I was wrong. Swasi has a really fine stem and, in the end, it ends up making about the half the bales one would expect for an equal volume of bermuda.
100_3755.jpg

And while it's not nearly as easy to sell as bermuda, the clients still show up.
100_3767.jpg

100_3768.jpg

The owner of the pasture asked if I could sell his bales for him and I agreed (with a service charge, of course). I also expressed my concerns with the fact that I had no experience selling swasi to my clients and that if I had to move the bales to my ranch, it might be too cumbersome to pull off. My ranch is at the base of the mountains you can see in the distance in some of the photos. Anyway, he offered some "sheds" he had available in the pueblo which cut that trip in half. Here's a shot of our hay in his "sheds".
100_3799.jpg

When I left the ranch this afternoon, the sheds were empty. I made close to 2000 bales this past week and they've all been sold. I've got an order from a single client for 1000 bales for this week so I'll get started on them on Monday. So far, so good. :D

Jogeephus":20qzhfpd said:
Sounds like they are selling well. What do most of the people use the square bales for?

Almost all of my clients are horse people though I just sold one load of swasi to a guy who is now out of pasture for his cattle. I'm interested in this latter market as well as there's lots of decent pasture in my area suitable for baling.

I'll soon start on a 50 acre pasture of estrella and another 100 acre pasture of brizanta. Not sure I got the spelling of either of those correct. :oops:

Same market here for squares. People will spend a fortune on horses. My favorite horse hay to bale is Tift 44. Its very fine and after you cut it you can wait just a little then start baling.

It will be interesting if your drought is an indicator of what we will experience this summer.

Cool pictures.

Jogeephus":339mze17 said:
It will be interesting if your drought is an indicator of what we will experience this summer.

I sure hope not. If we run any drier the fires will be a real issue by June or july

Nice pictures Whitewing. I can't even imagine cutting and baling in the same day. How is your baler working for you?

apical meristem":32td27p0 said:
"It will be interesting if your drought is an indicator of what we will experience this summer."

He has about a 5 month drought every year.

Actually Australia is a decent indicator of what the weather will be like in the southern U.S. When it floods in Australia it is dry here and vice versa. They are talking about how easy it is to put their fence posts in on the Australian talk thread on the Coffee Shop board.

apical meristem":klnvxolw said:
"It will be interesting if your drought is an indicator of what we will experience this summer."

He has about a 5 month drought every year.

Indeed we do. There are two seasons here, winter (wet) and summer (dry). We're well into summer here now and it's going to be a long one. I'll post a few pics to give you guys an idea of what it's like so far.

ohiosteve":klnvxolw said:
Nice pictures Whitewing. I can't even imagine cutting and baling in the same day. How is your baler working for you?

My balers are working really well OS. The one pictured in this thread is not the one I bought new last year. It's one I purchased from an Italian family who had baled my place in 2010. I'm using it currently for all "off-site" baling though I'll soon have to put my other machine to work as well.

You must be making some really tight bales as one of the fellows is carrying a bale by one string.

Latest posts