Baling pearl millet?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
Has anyone ever baled pearl millet? I'm just wanting a few tips. Since we've been blessed with rain or millet is growing a inch or two a day. So I'm thinking about rolling some up, if the feed value is good on it as hay.

I've used it for a cover crop, with the intention of baling. I of course was never able to get 2 cuttings, but you should. It takes a really long time to get dry enough to bale to.

I grow some every year for grazing. I've never had it baled. I have discussed it with people experienced. High quality hay. Ok for horses. Hard to dry . Very similar to working haygrazer. Don't even try without a mowco

You need to also cut it high and not close to the ground else it won't come back good. If you decide to bale it that's what your boy needs to sell because your other hay will be much better than this.

it makes good haylage. i have 55 acres that will be ready to cut and wrap soon. i usually get two cuttings. and then have some left to graze.
just put 65 more in this week for grazing. i may plant some more instead of cotton. :hide:

Double ditto on Haylage. Cut it early and often and 4" high for fast regrowth. Very hard to get it dry. Very good feed as haylage.

Latest posts