baling grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Instead of reading about bailing hay and moisture I had better get busy bailing . Raked about 26 acres this am. The steams were a little green letting it lay a while turned over. The temp is 96 should bail. It is 2nd cutting Johnson grass that has not headed out yet. The neighbor that has a riding stable want to buy most of it. I don't like to sell hay, but this year we have more than we will used and already have two years supply.

hillrancher":1985s5un said:
Instead of reading about bailing hay and moisture I had better get busy bailing . Raked about 26 acres this am. The steams were a little green letting it lay a while turned over. The temp is 96 should bail. It is 2nd cutting Johnson grass that has not headed out yet. The neighbor that has a riding stable want to buy most of it. I don't like to sell hay, but this year we have more than we will used and already have two years supply.
Better to have to much than not enough. Last year was a wet year like you are having this year and I used it as an opportunity to fill the barns. It is coming in handy as we started having to feed it to the cows about 3 weeks ago. We have had less than 1" of rain in the last 79 days.

Better to have to much than not enough. Last year was a wet year like you are having this year and I used it as an opportunity to fill the barns. It is coming in handy as we started having to feed it to the cows about 3 weeks ago. We have had less than 1" of rain in the last 79 days.Only trouble with dessert... You gotta eat stuff like spinich to earn it.

Vett, there is another disturbance coming in the Gulf you may get some moisture then. It is not long until the fall rains should get here. If this farming was as easy as those that don't do it thinks it is. There would not be enough of the fun to go around. The weather is what I really don't like to deal with, but there is nothing I can do about it. Just be patient a few month from now it will be history.

I herd about that, been watching a disturbance coming from the east from Lufkin area. I guess it is something that is preceeding Eduoard. Looked like it sort of split itself going thru Huntsville. Just looked again and it seem to be building back up as it is entering Brazos County. Still has about 35 miles to go till it gets to me. But building after the sun goes down is promising. Coming from the east is rare. Hope this is the one.

1982vett":1vo4nhag said:
Well, so much for that. Rain slid north as it crossed Brazos county. Nothing but a little spit.

I think that watching it on the radar can be so frustrating. We watch it build up in KS and it barrels along towards us then just as it get's into MO it starts to dry up then we get nothing. About half the time it starts building as soon as it gets a little bit east of us. Other times it's frustrating because it shows up on radar and rolls through and there is no end in sight of it to the west of us.

Latest posts