Balers 540 pto v/s 1000 pto

Help Support CattleToday:

jcummins

Reaction score
I notice some balers different pto speeds, even within the same model. Can a 1000 pto baler be run on an tractor with 540 pto? Or vice versa. And why the difference?

The only significant difference I've seen is the PTO shaft have different number of teeth

No a 1000 cannot be run on 540. It wouldn't be spinning fast enough (half speed). Some tractors don't have interchangeable PTO's, this is the reason for both styles. No differences in how they perform.

novaman":1mvpj08q said:
No a 1000 cannot be run on 540. It wouldn't be spinning fast enough (half speed). Some tractors don't have interchangeable PTO's, this is the reason for both styles. No differences in how they perform.

It also depends on the size of the baler and the horsepower of the tractor. If you have a smaller baler (not a 5-6 hard core) you can run it on a 85 horse power tractor using a change over pto attachement.

I think pretty much all new macinery is 1000 pto now . Our International tractor has duel pto's 540 and 1000.

When buying a baler make sure that your tractor can handle it first or you will do serious damage to your tractor. Also if your tractor is too powerful for your equipment you can damage it in return.

With a Vermeer baler, you can make it a 540 or 1000 by taking a chain off, taking out 4 bolts, flipping the gear box over, and turning it 1/4 turn. As far as tractor model, you might have to use an adaptor on pto shaft.

jcummins":2eg1ezlp said:
Which tractor brand or models have 1000pto? I thought 540 was more the standard.

540 may be more common - but now every major manufacturer makes tractors that can be either 540 or 1000 - often simply by removing the PTO - reversing it and re-inserting it into the gear housing - takes all of 5-10 minutes - depending on how fast I want to drink my coffee while I do it.

Some have two PTO on the rear of the tractor and some now have electric selection in the cab.

Allows you to name yer poison - that way you can run all types of equipment behind that tractor

As already stated there are many types of equipment that can be run on either set up - it is usually a fairly quick change. I like 1000 PTO stuff personally because many neighbours cannot use it - so they cannot borrow it! :D Our little group of "co-op farmers" share a lot of equipment back and forth - but they always make the repairs if required - others - well I am not so sure I want them running my stuff.

Bez+

Latest posts