Baler part- what does it do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kjfred

Reaction score
I'm slowly over the course of the last two seasons figuring out how to run run my Badger 615 round baler(same as a vermeer 605c). This 2nd cut short grass haa been giving me fits with the hay bunching up between the belts. I took this peice off yesterday and made a few bales and it seems to have all but eliminated the problem. Problem is I'm not sure what it's intended purpose is, my manual doesnt even show it. Its the guard in front of the roller above the feed rolls.
I'm curious what problem I'm creating

If you are talking about that flat pice just above the roller with ridges, it looks similar to what on a JD is part of the silage (wet hay) kit

dun":3abx91en said:
If you are talking about that flat pice just above the roller with ridges, it looks similar to what on a JD is part of the silage (wet hay) kit
Called a scraper I,think. Made to keep wet hay from sticking to the,belt.

I haven't run a Vermeer baler in close to 30 years, but back then the problem you're describing happened if the hay wasn't quite dry enough.

kenny thomas":e7szqlcv said:
dun":e7szqlcv said:
Called a scraper I,think. Made to keep wet hay from sticking to the,belt.
+1 It looks like you did remove the scraper and on a Vermeer baler that is used to keep hay from wrapping around the bottom roller. Instead of removing it you might could have adjusted it closer to the roller cause you sure don't want a mess of hay wrap around that roller.(that is my opinion as Kenny may be right)

I would agree with the scraper theory. Trouble is hay gets caught between it and the roller(#2on the diagram) and then between the roller and the belt and eventually prevents hay from going to the edge of the bale and the twine arm from moving freely.
The peice directly above the ribbed roll is supposed to be to help in starting a bale and not the peice I am referring to.

Yeah, scraper to keep wet hay off roller. Damp 2nd cut is a nightmare with it. Oh the memories.....horrible, horrible memories.

Latest posts