Baler Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

had a small fire on the big square baler, it was put out real fast. brake was left on the flywheel.

Angus/Brangus":ioo4iv9o said:
What's the cause of most of these fires? Bearings going out that create intense heat or mainly hay that's too wet? I got me a new round baler and I moisture test the hay prior to baling but would like to be heads up on anything else that could cause a fire.

Bearings, most likely. Doubt the friction on the hay would cause it but I guess anything is possible. The only occasion mine caught on fire was a bad bearing on the floor chains.

I had a bearing go out last year on me. It was bright cherry red and smouldring. I was baling at night to try to get it done and I thought at first it was the reflection of the monitor light on the back window - but it didn't go away when the light went out. Luckily I was close enough to the house to get to the water hose. I had never thought about it before then but I still am worried that if I did have a bad fire I wouldn't be able to pull the pin on the baler without jacking it up first. How do you unhook the baler fast without jacking it up????

sidney411":wsa9bohe said:
I had a bearing go out last year on me. It was bright cherry red and smouldring. I was baling at night to try to get it done and I thought at first it was the reflection of the monitor light on the back window - but it didn't go away when the light went out. Luckily I was close enough to the house to get to the water hose. I had never thought about it before then but I still am worried that if I did have a bad fire I wouldn't be able to pull the pin on the baler without jacking it up first. How do you unhook the baler fast without jacking it up????
I think the best stratagy is have plenty of fire extinguisher resources available, dump the bale and start hosing everything down. Mine's the same way, takes a long time to disconnect. :shock: Its good to have someone helping, but if you're like me, always alone working at baling hay. :(

I had a bearing blow out on mine just 5 days ago that lit 'er up. I found out that one large water extinguisher may not be enough. I was lucky enough to have a couple 2 litre bottles of water in the tractor with me and got the roller cooled down so it quit re-lighting the hay on fire. So I went out and bought another large extinguisher. From now on this little boy is carrying two with him and some extra 2 litre bottles of water in the twine box.

Rod

Latest posts