baler fire

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well the baler blew a bearing and went up in flames.the goodthing is they was able to unhook the tractor and get it out of the way.sure is a crappy way to end the season.no 1 was hurt unhooking the baler.we know where theres 2 balers thats barely been used at all both 3yrs old and less than 1300 bales.both balers are new hollands.

It always amazes me that more dont go up in flames... All that dry matter, and moving metal parts...like torch strikers..why I put a rear view mirror aimed straight to the rear....

it was a shock esp since a bearing had been replaced 2 months ago.im hoping we can get a baler thats not so bad about blowing bearings.but thats not gonna happen.

it was a jd 567 baler.nesi this is the 1st round baler weve ever had to burn up.

bigbull338":q1borccm said:
it was a jd 567 baler.nesi this is the 1st round baler weve ever had to burn up.
That sucks, the 567 is a great baler, and expensive

Had a close call last year when a bale burned shortly after dumping it.

Never did figure out why.

That's an awful thing to have happen, sorry for your luck. I carry an infra red thermometer and point it at all my bearings a couple of times a day. Just takes a couple of minutes, but if I see a bearing start to run a little warmer than normal I know well in advance that something needs to be done.
s-l225.jpg

Silver":15ak9i5w said:
That's an awful thing to have happen, sorry for your luck. I carry an infra red thermometer and point it at all my bearings a couple of times a day. Just takes a couple of minutes, but if I see a bearing start to run a little warmer than normal I know well in advance that something needs to be done.
s-l225.jpg
So what temperature is normal for a bearing to run ?

pricefarm":1pzql6xk said:
Silver":1pzql6xk said:
s-l225.jpg
So what temperature is normal for a bearing to run ?

Don't know what normal is, first thing is if one is running hotter that others doing the same job it's a red flag. I just get a feel for what normal is on the particular machine and watch for changes.

Latest posts