Baler Clutch Springs

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
I'm going to have to put a new over running clutch drum on my 575 New Holland baler. My question is how do I properly tighten those springs on the clutch? I measured the spring height before I disasembled it, wondered if anybody had a better way.

Larry

larryshoat":tm5sdg0m said:
I'm going to have to put a new over running clutch drum on my 575 New Holland baler. My question is how do I properly tighten those springs on the clutch? I measured the spring height before I disasembled it, wondered if anybody had a better way.

Larry
That's they way but it really only works with new springs.

dun":2kia0i9k said:
larryshoat":2kia0i9k said:

Larry
That's they way but it really only works with new springs.

Then I reckon I'll put in new springs, if they got em.

Thanks dun.

Larry

larryshoat":2da8z7z3 said:

Larry

If the disks are worn to the point that they need rplacing you can bet the springs have lost some of their strength. Just for laughs, when you get the new springs compare the length of the new ones and the old ones.

dun":1s0mm5tu said:
larryshoat":1s0mm5tu said:

Larry

If the disks are worn to the point that they need rplacing you can bet the springs have lost some of their strength. Just for laughs, when you get the new springs compare the length of the new ones and the old ones.

The discs and seperator plates look ok, I'll compare all that stuff to new. You would think that at very least the springs would be fatigued and have less tension.

Larry

larryshoat":3efxy9h4 said:
You would think that at very least the springs would be fatigued and have less tension.

Larry

Exactly. I had to change the clutch on a New Idea baler, the new springs were 1/2 inch longer then the ones I took off. They were a real stinker to get on because of the length and the strength.

Went this morning to get the parts I thought I needed, totaled to $650, the whole assembly new was only $703, so I went that way. Bales like a new one.

Larry

Latest posts