Baler Broke Down

Help Support CattleToday:

NWMoAngus

Reaction score
Had ten acres ready to bale last night and the pickup reel of my JD 567 stopped and the slip clutch went to chatterin. Think a bearing is froze up. It is the fourth of July and doubt I can find any one close to bale the field before it rains tonight. Oh well!

Get a can of oil out, try and work it loose, maybe you can get it back to life

It just *has* to happen on a holiday doesn't it!

Check the cam rollers on the pickup. One of them craps out and it will lock the baler up. There is an inspection port on the left side of baler .The rollers can be replaced without tearing the pickup apart.

hurleyjd":55r9t7tv said:
Check the cam rollers on the pickup. One of them craps out and it will lock the baler up. There is an inspection port on the left side of baler .The rollers can be replaced without tearing the pickup apart.

Wondered about this. Just had the cam rollers and pickup reel rebuilt by the dealer before the season.

NWMoAngus":1h50agi6 said:
hurleyjd":1h50agi6 said:

Wondered about this. Just had the cam rollers and pickup reel rebuilt by the dealer before the season.

I don't know a thing about JD balers, but it wouldn't be the first time a dealer shop screwed up and left something loose/fell out/put where it didn't belong. :roll: You might get lucky and be able to fix the problem yourself.

Go to the right side of the baler and undo the roller chain. Then see if you can turn the pickup by hand. That will eliminate the pickup as the problem. Then look at all of the bearing usually a bearing will have been hot and scorched he paint. Also look at all of the roller chains on the baler some times they will come off and ball up and keep the baler from turning.

If you have a mega wide pickup the first thing I would check is that you do not have a small rock wedged under the auger at the top of the pickup. That is what my problem is 95 percent of the time when the pickup slip clutch slips. This happened to me on the first or second bale I ever made when the baler was brand new and I could not find the problem and got the dealer out and then felt like a complete fool. Getting those small rocks into the cam can also jam up and stop it if you are lucky or break the cam if you are not needless to say I have replaced a few of the cams.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the field I check both slip clutches, check for rocks, tree limbs, bones, etc., checked the sprokets and roller chains and felt for heat on the outside of bearings. It turned out to be one of the four bearings on the main rotor. Dealer had to drop the pickup reel to get to the rotor and replaced all four bearings and put in a new pickup reel slip clutch. I am back in business.

Latest posts