Baler Belts

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
I don't know a whole heck of alot about John Deere balers and I bought a 569 with just over 15000 bales and once about every 50 bales the belts will wrap about a roller while dumping the bales. As I close the gate the belts make a God awful squeeling noise since they're being pulled from around the roller.

Is this a result of the belts being stretched? If so is it worth it to cut the belts to length and put on new splices? Or after that many bales should I just get new belts?

We have a 568. It should not be doing that. The only time I have seen ours do that is when it didn't lock the bale chamber and we started baling. Then it will roll the belts around the roller. Do you have the pto running when you close the gate?

We have a 568. It should not be doing that. The only time I have seen ours do that is when it didn't lock the bale chamber and we started baling. Then it will roll the belts around the roller. Do you have the pto running when you close the gate?
Yes sir the PTO is running around 850 when I close the gate.

Yes sir the PTO is running around 850 when I close the gate.
Hmmm, are you raising the gate all the way? I know some times if you don't the slack in the belts ca get on the wrong side of the roller. Like if I need to check a roller, I raise the gate just until the the top part starts to raise ( its kind of a 2 stage). That gives me slack in the belts to check things out, but I have to raise the gate all the way before I shut it to get the belts back correctly.
Sorry I'm not being much help.

Hmmm, are you raising the gate all the way? I know some times if you don't the slack in the belts ca get on the wrong side of the roller. Like if I need to check a roller, I raise the gate just until the the top part starts to raise ( its kind of a 2 stage). That gives me slack in the belts to check things out, but I have to raise the gate all the way before I shut it to get the belts back correctly.
Sorry I'm not being much help.
I'm raising the gate all the way but the hydraulics are kinda slow on my tractor so I'm wondering if that's the reason. I'm gonna hook it up to my father's tractor tomorrow with faster hydraulics and see if that makes a difference.

I don't see how you could get enough slack in the belts for them to wrap up like that.

I have a Vermeer dealer close enough that I can have work done.

On my old round baler and new baler both. I changed the pins that pin the belts together every 1000 bales. The majority of the time I do that myself but now that I am getting older I take it to the dealer and let them replace the pins and if that is all that needs done it costs me under a 100 bucks.

The reason for changing thoes pins is because of the slack that you get in the splice causes more friction (heat) as the splice goes over the rollers and is one way baler fires start.

Got to admit I don't see how slack in a pin can do that but have had several people tell me it does happen. So every 1000 bales I change the pens if for no other reason a peace of mind.

Not saying that is the problem with your baler, probably isnt. But you said it has had 15000 bales run through it. If it were me I would take it to some place and have them change the pins and figure out what the problem is causing all that slack.

You ever notice someone baleing with a twisted belt on their baler. People that don't take the time to untwist it. Usually wind up tearing the lace and end up having to cut that tear out and putting a new lace in the old ones place.

Looking at the picture I don't see how your going to avoid twisting a belt if not a couple of them.

I don't own a JD baler, but I've noticed some sort of roller in the top of the chamber that raises up at some point during the bale dump cycle. I'm betting it pops up to apply tension to the belts before you drop the gate, then goes down as the gate is shut and there's enough tension on the belts to prevent what you've got going on. Is that "flapper" (for lack of a better word) roller extending up when you dump a bale each time? Sounds like there's some sort of issue with your hydraulic tensioning system, whether it's lack of flow/pressure from the tractor or a seal/leak/air pocket on the baler itself. Please let us know what the cure is once you find it.

We have a JD 530 baler (5x6). I think it's a few models before the 569. We don't turn the PTO on until the gate is down fully and latched. Have never seen this happen.

Nothing to do with the original post, wish I could help but can't. However…..

I don't know how you guys bale with a baler you have to shut PTO off to kick the bale out. That would drive me insane and can't do much good for a PTO clutch. Wouldn't have a fire extinguisher on it, I would probably set it afire myself.

I don't see how you could get enough slack in the belts for them to wrap up like that.

I have a Vermeer dealer close enough that I can have work done.

On my old round baler and new baler both. I changed the pins that pin the belts together every 1000 bales. The majority of the time I do that myself but now that I am getting older I take it to the dealer and let them replace the pins and if that is all that needs done it costs me under a 100 bucks.

The reason for changing thoes pins is because of the slack that you get in the splice causes more friction (heat) as the splice goes over the rollers and is one way baler fires start.

Got to admit I don't see how slack in a pin can do that but have had several people tell me it does happen. So every 1000 bales I change the pens if for no other reason a peace of mind.

Not saying that is the problem with your baler, probably isnt. But you said it has had 15000 bales run through it. If it were me I would take it to some place and have them change the pins and figure out what the problem is causing all that slack.

You ever notice someone baleing with a twisted belt on their baler. People that don't take the time to untwist it. Usually wind up tearing the lace and end up having to cut that tear out and putting a new lace in the old ones place.

Looking at the picture I don't see how your going to avoid twisting a belt if not a couple of them.
A splice will not give enough slack to roll up like that. There should be a small roller on a spring that keeps the belts tight when you open the gate.

Nothing to do with the original post, wish I could help but can't. However…..

I don't know how you guys bale with a baler you have to shut PTO off to kick the bale out. That would drive me insane and can't do much good for a PTO clutch. Wouldn't have a fire extinguisher on it, I would probably set it afire myself.
Shutting off the PTO isn't as annoying as having to back up for every bale dump.

Shutting off the PTO isn't as annoying as having to back up for every bale dump.
" Back up for every dump " ??? Why would you have to back up before dumping the bale out ?

I never back up or kick the PTO out. When the bale is finished wrapping or tieing i dump that baby and am off like a herd of turtles rolling up the next bale.

" Back up for every dump " ??? Why would you have to back up before dumping the bale out ?

I never back up or kick the PTO out. When the bale is finished wrapping or tieing i dump that baby and am off like a herd of turtles rolling up the next bale.
Then you've never used an older baler. I grew up on a 605C Vermeer, then a 504I and 504L. On all of those balers, we had to kill the PTO after tying the bale, back up and dump, then restart PTO, lower gate and take off forward. The bales wouldn't clear the gate if you didn't back up, as none of them had ramps. My current 604M is the first baler I've owned with a powered ramp and the ability to leave the PTO running while dumping. Not saying I'll never go back, but I'd have to be pretty hard up to do so.

Then you've never used an older baler. I grew up on a 605C Vermeer, then a 504I and 504L. On all of those balers, we had to kill the PTO after tying the bale, back up and dump, then restart PTO, lower gate and take off forward. The bales wouldn't clear the gate if you didn't back up, as none of them had ramps. My current 604M is the first baler I've owned with a powered ramp and the ability to leave the PTO running while dumping. Not saying I'll never go back, but I'd have to be pretty hard up to do so.
No I never used a baler like that. I would sure hate to have to use one like that too. Having to do that would probably take almost twice as long to bale a field of hay.

Wouldn't be as much of the idea of it taking so much longer to bale as it is having to be out in the heat twice as long. Exspecially now that it seems to get hotter than it use too.

It's kind of like when i was a kid. They didn't have round balers. Everyone put hay up in small square bales. I hauled several thousand of them along with two other boys for 15 cents a bale that we divided among the three of us. After paying for the truck gas we each got less than a nickel a bale for hauling and stacking it by hand.

Didn't have a tractor loader with bale hooks to pick up 8, 10 or 12 bales at a time. I bale a few hundred of thoes small squares still to this day only because i have the bale hook and accumulator to do it with. But I wouldn't mess with it like we had to by hand when i was a kid because it wouldn't be worth it to me.

No I never used a baler like that. I would sure hate to have to use one like that too. Having to do that would probably take almost twice as long to bale a field of hay.
I've baled 250+ rolls in a day with the 504L. Once you get in the rhythm of things, it doesn't take that much more time. Just the extra wear and tear on the operator/tractor is my biggest gripe.

Sometimes the electronic BS on these balers can be a pain. It does take a little longer
I've baled 250+ rolls in a day with the 504L. Once you get in the rhythm of things, it doesn't take that much more time. Just the extra wear and tear on the operator/tractor is my biggest gripe.
Been there a few times as the day wears on one little flinch and the rhythm of thing can get screwed up. Dealing with the electrical possible problems on these newer balers can get aggravating as those sensors can screwup.

Just bought aNew Holland after using a 530 JD for years...Now I follow the raker out of the field ..with the 530 i was still in the field baling all afternoon while the raker is eating supper...and use half the fuel with the NH ,stop tie a bale, kick it out .bamm! keep clucking.. I might start to enjoy hay'ing now"...........naw still hate it..

Latest posts