Baled hay rained on in field

Help Support CattleToday:

TNTLivestock

Reaction score
Had a freak storm last night/early morning dumping quite a bit of rain on our baled hay (small bales). We had planned on picking it up and stacking it today....a day too late. How long do you think we should wait before stacking it now since it was rained on?

TNTLivestock":ptkw97b1 said:
Had a freak storm last night/early morning dumping quite a bit of rain on our baled hay (small bales). We had planned on picking it up and stacking it today....a day too late. How long do you think we should wait before stacking it now since it was rained on?

Live and learn. Never bale more the day before than you can get up before the dew is gone the next day so that you can start baleing and stay abreast of it.

Wewild":2p0t3usz said:
TNTLivestock":2p0t3usz said:

Live and learn. Never bale more the day before than you can get up before the dew is gone the next day so that you can start baleing and stay abreast of it.

You may have to roll it over a few times/days and let it dry before stacking.

Down here it would be full of fire ants the next morning if we don't get it up that night.

You don't stop hauling hay just because it gets dark. :lol:

You may want to try and set the bales up in the shape of an "A" . Just place them end to end. But, as others said, it depends on how wet they got.

Wait till it,s completly dry or it will heat up on you.We had some years ago that got wet in the end it molded so bad we wernt able to use it. Like Wewild said live and learn.

rattler

I would leave them lay in the field as long as possible, turn them to drier ground after a day or two. Then get them piled before the next rain. Spread salt on each layer.

mnmt

Wet hay will heat up and mold, this will be alot of extrawork, but I've heard of people doing it, cut the bales, spread out, let the hay dry and then re bale, I guess it depends on how bad you need the hay.

GMN

Crowderfarms":3i3v4b8a said:
msscamp":3i3v4b8a said:
GMN":3i3v4b8a said:
Wet hay will heat up and mold....GMN

As far as I know, this is only a problem with alfalfa. I could be wrong, though.
No Hay, to the best of my knowledge is mold-proof.Once it's gotten wet, it's pretty much a lost cause.

Yes, you're right. I didn't edit enough - I was refering to the heating up part, not the molding part. Sorry. :oops:

I am sorry for your luck with rained on hay. It is just one of those things. I try to never knock off untill we get em all up and under cover but sometimes you just don't make it.
If you can't get them dry then put them in a ditch in the pasture the cows will eat em.

Latest posts