baleage with thistle

Help Support CattleToday:

tja477t

Reaction score
has anyone here made some baleage with thistle as opposed to wrap. im wondering if the plastic will hold the bale together enough after the thistle rots. thought it might be easier to feed out if i only had to remove the plastic wrap and not the netting.

tja477t":1wm25k8s said:
has anyone here made some baleage with thistle as opposed to wrap. im wondering if the plastic will hold the bale together enough after the thistle rots. thought it might be easier to feed out if i only had to remove the plastic wrap and not the netting.
Here we go with that baleage, silage, high moisture hay deal. Which is it going to be.

tja477t":1sh7kjwi said:
In my experience, no it would not. Sometimes it's hard enough to keep it together with the net wrap.

I've used sisal twine before in baleage and as long as you don't handle the bales much at feeding time your ok.

Still prefer net wrap so I can take the plastic off at home then carry the bales as far as I want and the net holds them together nice.

Never had any of mine not unroll. Have had plenty of sisal twine wrapped ones with the twine rotted off fall apart when bouncing 1/4 of a mile down the road and through the field getting them to where I feed.

I use sisal and bales hold together fine, but my hay yard is right next to where I feed in the winter. My balage holds together much better than dry hay, especially in the winter.

sounds good. i think ill try it. it should be easier than taking the netting off. i dont unroll mine anyways, i just throw the whole bale in the feeder.

funny i guess i always said thisle and now i dont know how to edit the title

Latest posts