baleage question

Help Support CattleToday:

Carrie

Reaction score
Good morning all,
Last year we fed baleage for the first time. It worked great - we used some of my bro-in-laws first cutting alfalpha and the stuff smelled lovely when opened. This year we bailed our own fescue/timothy/clover combo. We just opened our first 2 bails Friday and man oh man, it stinks! It smells kinda like silage with overtones of cat poop. I ran my husband out of the house after working with the stuff, he smelled so bad. No signs of mold, the stuff looks ok and the cows love it. My question is this: do different grass combos have different odors? Should we be worried about this stuff? We fed limited amounts over the week-end and no one seemed to have any problems with bloat or anything. Do you think it's OK to continue feeding it? (We may have to install an outdoor shower for anyone who works with the stuff :) ) Thanks for your input.

We only wet wrap 2nd and 3rd cutting and never fescue. I think that may be the stink. Usually ours is alfalfa and ladino clover. But if you are afraid of it, I would take it the feed mill and have the lab run a test on it. Our feed man can tell you bout anything you want to know about a sample. Have them check for toxicisty levels. Modern technology.

Latest posts