Baleage pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Drive everything. Takes longer to load/chain/unchain/unload than it does to drive it. All of my equipment is heavy so its quite a load to haul it all.
You need one of those Fendt's that will run about 50mph and just sell your truck. 😂 The Mennonites drive those things all the way from PA to here in VA when they are custom chopping and spreading manure.

I feel your pain it is 15 mi. to my closest hay field. Hauling hay is the most time consuming and darn near the most expensive part. Anything close to the house is either sewed up tight as far as lease or rough and broom sage that is 20+ years short on fertilizer. Most of that land is for sale or owned by old folks and they won't do a long enough lease to be able to afford trying to turn it around.

At the speed most tractors are capable of now it would take a pretty long journey to justify hauling.
I agree. I had asked the "drive or haul" question when I was thinking of doing a field 6 miles from the farm. Had a response from a guy in Texas who said, "hell, I drive 10 plus miles a day just on my own farm" Course , that's probably not paved. I drive to all of mine, but the furthest is only 2 miles away.

Dairy farmers chop hay for haylage all around here. They are chasing those 25+% protein product. 1st week in June is optimum for our hayfields. Generally, it runs 16% protein.
I don't own any hay equipment, but I "believe" it's 6 wraps. We get 2 cuttings - dairymen will get 4 cuttings.
When my hay "guy" started wrapping for us, I ran the tractor that had long hydraulic lines to the wrapper. I would run the push ram and the wrapper wheel with the lines and keep moving up as I wrapped a few bales. System has come a long way since then. I believe my hay guy was the first in NY with an in-line wrapper.

Latest posts