Bale Splitter

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these things on rounds bales. Looking around for one used but, haven't had any luck at all!So, before I spend $2500 bucks just wanted to make sure it is worth it.

Herefordcross":1ngt1lzm said:
Anyone ever use one of these things on rounds bales. Looking around for one used but, haven't had any luck at all!So, before I spend $2500 bucks just wanted to make sure it is worth it.

Why would you want to split a bale?
Why not just unroll half of it?

For in a feed mixer or as u dump it into feeder It makes the stems of the hay shorter thereby decresing waste some and allowing the cattle to go right at it. Also for feeding a pen of bulls or heifers or something like that, they don't need a whole roll at a time to get trashed out so you can split it and only feed a portion of the roll at a time if you like to.

Herefordcross":3eai3nbh said:
For in a feed mixer or as u dump it into feeder It makes the stems of the hay shorter thereby decresing waste some and allowing the cattle to go right at it. Also for feeding a pen of bulls or heifers or something like that, they don't need a whole roll at a time to get trashed out so you can split it and only feed a portion of the roll at a time if you like to.

Thanks for clearing that up.
My only thought was to feed half of it.

we put ours in the top of our barn and tip it on its side and split them easy when there frozen and just shove it down the holes on eaach side and if its really frozen we use a chain saw ( these arr wrap hay i do the same for dry hay)

Must be one long bar on one expensive chain saw that's all I can say and by the way Baleage "Wrapped as you call them" doesn't freeze if it's fermented or at least not here anyway maybe up there they do, heck I don't know any thing anymore.
http://www.vermeer.com You can see what I'm talking about on there.

Latest posts