Bale spear

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Been keeping my eye on electric/hydraulic spears, pulled the trigger saturday at the local coop, heavily discounted because they had had it a while and the paint was faded, while buying fertilizer. A Pierce unit, that hooks to the gooseneck ball. Tried it out today, with some heavy bales, and was pleased. Got all the wires run, for the permanent setup. Thinking about putting linch pins through the bed for ease of getting it off and on. I seriously had an oh shize moment when I realized how heavy it was. I read that you can stick it in a bale, and then lift it, to make it easier to switch, to pulling a trailer. Anyone do this? Cause , I just can't hoss this thing around, I can weld hooks and raise it with a chain if need be.

Was it something like this?

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, similar, very unhandy for our operation, taking on and off to tow a trailer, not a very good option with one truck.

If it were me, I'd weld 3 D-rings to it. One just over the ball attachment area, and one at each rear corner of the angle iron draped over your bed edge. Then I'd buy enough chain and 3 safety clasps to make myself a dedicated lifting sling with a center attachment point at the balance point and use a chainfall or cable puller to hang it in a tree, off a barn rafter, etc.

A little bit of work/expense to begin with, but it'll make life easier down the road.

cfpinz said:
If it were me, I'd weld 3 D-rings to it. One just over the ball attachment area, and one at each rear corner of the angle iron draped over your bed edge. Then I'd buy enough chain and 3 safety clasps to make myself a dedicated lifting sling with a center attachment point at the balance point and use a chainfall or cable puller to hang it in a tree, off a barn rafter, etc.

A little bit of work/expense to begin with, but it'll make life easier down the road.
Yeah, that's where I'm at, bought hooks and clevis today.