Bale spear mounted to pick-up truck?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
I made a hook up that fits in a reciever hitch of my pick-up to wench up round bales using a 3-point bale spear, is not exactly turning out the way I wanted. Anybody have any pictures or can describe designs they made up? Thanks in advance.

Ray

The nicest ones I've seen had a large piece of angle iron across the back of the pickup bed used as a pivot point. Chances are the reciever hitch is too low and not steady enough. Most had a frame welded to this angle that stretches to the front of the bed with a winch mounted up front. Drop two bolts thru up front and tie them to the frame. Sorry, no pics.

cfpinz

cfpinz":278f5ckx said:
The nicest ones I've seen had a large piece of angle iron across the back of the pickup bed used as a pivot point. Chances are the reciever hitch is too low and not steady enough. Most had a frame welded to this angle that stretches to the front of the bed with a winch mounted up front. Drop two bolts thru up front and tie them to the frame. Sorry, no pics.

cfpinz
Thats my problem, the hitch is too low, it seems to put too much stress on the wench or the come-a-long. I looked up the one made by the Washburn Company in Lamar, MO and it seems that it would be hard to make one too much cheaper.

The nicest one I hae seen connected to the G/N hitch. Remove your tail gate, screw in the tines, and back up to the bale. Push a switch to actuate a hydraulic cylinder and lift it. Drive off without getting out of the seat.

The guy claims it saves him a whole lot of time over the old tumble bugs. He didn't tell me how many nickels he paid for it.

hayray":29x6y4e4 said:
cfpinz":29x6y4e4 said:

cfpinz
Thats my problem, the hitch is too low, it seems to put too much stress on the wench or the come-a-long. I looked up the one made by the Washburn Company in Lamar, MO and it seems that it would be hard to make one too much cheaper.

Do you have a cable going staigh from the winch to the spear or winch - spear - back to winch?

I have seen one like you are trying to build.
The guy had a reciever that was a T. One end into recieve other two for the bottom two of the 3pt to hook to. (good square tubing)
Once he stuck that in then he can take his regualr spear from the tractor and pin it in... just like a tractor on bottom.
He welded two braces with a pulley above the top 3pt hook up and I believe he extended that upright to give himself some more height there.
He runs the cable through the eye and pulley and latches it back by the winch.

Easy deal, one person can hook it up quick and you don't have to have a spear for the truck and a spear for the tractor. He also has a boom that hooks up to that same T so it can be a pole truck also. :lol: He is quite the Bohemian engineer.:lol2:

alabama":1gp5gov6 said:
Buy a tumbelbug. I think you will be glad you did.
I agree tumblebugs are great but since you are in Alabama you may not realize that they do not work well in deep snow.
Bulldog%20Bug%20007c.jpg