bale spear design

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I am in need of a bale spear for both ends of my tractor. The front loader takes skid steer buckets and I was thinking of fabricating my own bale spear for it. Does any body have some designs or pics they would share for info purposes? I am also needing to build a 3 pt. spear.

I made quite a few when I was a teenager. Used 6" box tube from the scrapyard at work (4 cents/lb) and old industrial blower shafts. Welded two lengths of tube in an upside down "t". With pins I ended up with less than $30 each in them but it takes two people to pick one up. Made some out of either 4" or 5" c-channel welded into a box one time.

cfpinz

I was mainly wondering what size tubing the frames where made out of on the 3 pt. models. Is it 2x2 or 3x3? 3/16 or 1/4 wall?

The guys in the shop where I bought my tractor welded quick connect brackets that fit my Allied loader to a "dime a dozen" 3 point spear - now I can use it on both ends.

If I put my manure bucket on and the 3 point on the rear I can move 3 at a time. Handy sometimes.

ALX

DustyH":1hon9hk2 said:
I was mainly wondering what size tubing the frames where made out of on the 3 pt. models. Is it 2x2 or 3x3? 3/16 or 1/4 wall?

I built a quick connect for the front of mine recently. I looked but I guess I didn't take a picture of it. I used 4x4 3/16. I built one for the back a couple years back and used 3x3 1/4.

For the front I went on ebay and bought spears with weld on brackets. This makes the spears replaceable. They were also cheaper than making my own. For the front I used one big one in the center top and two small ones on the lower outside to keep the bale in position.

I can get pics if needed.

The local steel shop has some 3x3x3/16". Would this be strong enough for a 3pt.?

DustyH":njo24zbw said:
The local steel shop has some 3x3x3/16". Would this be strong enough for a 3pt.?

I would certainly think so given good enough welds and good design.

When I built the one for the front, I could buy 14 feet for $240 or the whole 21 foot stick for $242. Guess which length I bought.

here are a couple of pics of some I built, I used 3x3x1/4 tube but 5/16 would be ok I just had the 1/4" stuff. Two long spears work great on round bales, big squares 3 in a triangle patters with two on the bottom seems to work pretty well. The two stars in the pictures are almost identical, the only major difference is one has the spears side by side and one has them on top of each other in the center.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=5352

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=5352

I used an old steel wheel to make a 3 pt spear .Just welded on the other necessaries . slid an old heavy truck axle shaft for the spear in the cente hole of the wheel.

Latest posts