Bale Processors

Help Support CattleToday:

Fritz3410

Reaction score
We have been doing some research on making our operation more efficient, and a bale processor seems to be just what we need. We would of course love a super fancy expensive vertical mixer for everything, but that is not really a realistic hope for our operation right now. 16 cows and growing slowly. We have been looking around, and there are certainly used bale processors for sale, but none seem to be in the area. And when looking around, it doesn't seem there are many around here. (Here is central IL) They all seem to be coming from up north or out west, according to the adds at least. Is there a reason there seem to be none around here? Or am I missing something?
I think a bale processor would cut down on our waste nicely, and save the feed lot mess we deal with now.
I have another question. If our hopes and plans are of growing this operation to possibly a 50 max cow size over the next many years, is it better to just spend the big money now and go for the fancy vertical mixer, or do we get a processor and get our moneys worth out of it and move on once we hit that larger size?
Fritz

im going to say something you might not like.but for a max herd of 50 cows you do not need 1 of those big tubb grinders.the grinders cost $25000 to $30000 new.plus you need 150hp tractor to use it.now you might could use a bale shredder.

Our bale processors harvest the hay by themselves and fertilize the fields behind themselves

Here is all of our thinking. Central IL is the corn belt. All the ground we have in hay does not make us nearly what corn does, not even close. I know cattle will never make what corn does, so don't jump me for saying that, but we have pasture that would go to waste, besides, cattle are fun. So, with the current system, just putting round bales out and them wasting a fair share of it, means we need more hay ground to support our herd. So, the less ground we need, and the more cheap supplements we can add the better off we are. We do currently move the hay around corn fields in the winter, but that mess does not clean itself up. That requires extra tillage, and extra time, and really a very unbalanced fertilzer program.
We have multiple large tractors already. We would not buy a new verticle mixer. I am not saying we will ever be able to justify a verticle mixer, but can't a guy dream?

Fritz3410":1tsl0i64 said:
Here is all of our thinking. Central IL is the corn belt. All the ground we have in hay does not make us nearly what corn does, not even close. I know cattle will never make what corn does, so don't jump me for saying that, but we have pasture that would go to waste, besides, cattle are fun. So, with the current system, just putting round bales out and them wasting a fair share of it, means we need more hay ground to support our herd. So, the less ground we need, and the more cheap supplements we can add the better off we are. We do currently move the hay around corn fields in the winter, but that mess does not clean itself up. That requires extra tillage, and extra time, and really a very unbalanced fertilzer program.
We have multiple large tractors already. We would not buy a new verticle mixer. I am not saying we will ever be able to justify a verticle mixer, but can't a guy dream?

AC stole a bit of the thunder... but it sounds as if round bales aren't an efficient way for you to feed. Saves labor, yes, but not feed. Bale processor is still going to need labor and an efficient way to feed it. So you are back to feeding the cows what they need as they need it.

Finally, it is becoming more apparent every day, the more you have to work, spend or invest to provide cattle with their needs, the less likely in the end you will have anything to take to the bank to make it worthwhile.

Fritz

Would suggest you put a sharp pencil to your situation before purchasing anything that rusts, rots, or depreciates. You can waste a he!! of a lot of hay and still spend less than it costs to own, repair & operate a bale processor. BTDT

IMO, cows are the most cost effective forage harvesters and fertilizer spreaders ever conceived. That being said, in order to be the most effective, a modest amount of management and planning is required. Why not let the cows winter graze cornfields as long as possible before feeding hay, etc. That way the cows do more of the work. Ask this question to yourself? Do I want to work for my cows or should the cows work for me?

As AC suggested, unroll the hay in your pastures and anything not eaten by the cows will decompose and provide fertilizer for your pastures.

Also have to agree with 1982vette. As a former grain farmer, I find it very easy to look at the latest equipment, technology, etc to improve my operation, however experience has (sometimes painfully) taught me that simple solutions are usually the most profitable, satisfying and sustainable. Best wishes for whatever approach you take.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Latest posts