Bale Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

RDFF, you are absolutely right! Folks, we are leaving a lot on the table by ignoring this regenerative stuff. Some is hard to follow, but it's legit!

RDFF, you are absolutely right! Folks, we are leaving a lot on the table by ignoring this regenerative stuff. Some is hard to follow, but it's legit!
100 percent legit. There is no future in the expensive inputs year after year with no improvement. Future is in forward thinking management.

Instead of herbicides and fertilizer, the best investment is farm infrastructure for rotating and resting.

Don't know that I ever seen chains on a tractor here but when young we did use them on a pickup. It has been 40+ years since I seen a set for a truck.
When I was a kid I remember dad had em on his Mazda truck. The ebb and flo has us warm now thankfully. It'll cool off again soon enough.

Don't know that I ever seen chains on a tractor here but when young we did use them on a pickup. It has been 40+ years since I seen a set for a truck.
You guys from the South never cease to amaze me. Chains on a tractor, even WITH FWA, is an automatic up here in winter! Even with FWA, if there's any amount of ice and you need to get anywhere, or if there's anything much for slope at all, you still need the chains to help you hold the line.

Slip slidin' away, slip slidin' away... the more you near your destination, the more you're slip sliding'away.......... :) Simon & Garfunkel Slip Slidin' Away

I hate chains with a passion and hope that they can remain hanging on the wall in the shop.

We don't get much ice only 20+ feet of snow. I get along just fine in the deep snow without pesky chains.

I hate chains with a passion and hope that they can remain hanging on the wall in the shop.

We don't get much ice only 20+ feet of snow. I get along just fine in the deep snow without pesky chains.
Love hate relationship for me.... hate to have to put 'em on, hate to have to ride down the road with 'em on, hate to hear 'em ticking the fender(n)...... but LOVE not getting stuck or not being able to go where I need to!(y)

Nearly 21 FEET of accumulated snowfall here this season and haven't gotten stuck yet where chains would help (ie 4 feet of snow under the front axle). Use bucket and push backwards and pick another line. If you deal with a lot of ice then chains are helpful.

Wrestling 20.8x42 tire chains on is a task I hope never to have to do. Lol

Nearly 21 FEET of accumulated snowfall here this season and haven't gotten stuck yet where chains would help (ie 4 feet of snow under the front axle). Use bucket and push backwards and pick another line. If you deal with a lot of ice then chains are helpful.

Snow almost covered the grass in the yard once this winter. I wouldn't need chains if we got 21ft of snow per winter because I would be moving south. You guys have my respect but its not for me.

You DO know to just hang the leading end over the lugs on the back of the tire and drive forward to put them on, right (letting the tractor do the work for you)? Meaning, you DON'T have to try to put them up over the top of the tire.....

I've put more sets of tire chains and wheel tracks on than I can remember between logging and farming over the years.

No matter how you put them on its a wrestling match to get them on good and tight/straight/untwisted so they don't walk off when going down the road, slap the cab, slap hoses and fuel tanks off, etc.

I've put more sets of tire chains and wheel tracks on than I can remember between logging and farming over the years.

No matter how you put them on its a wrestling match to get them on good and tight/straight/untwisted so they don't walk off when going down the road, slap the cab, slap hoses and fuel tanks off, etc.
Yeah, I know what you mean... I've only got about maybe 3" of clearance between my tire and the fender... 20.8 x 38's. I have to make sure they're on really tight, or I'm liable to lose something...........

When I do run chains I let most of the air out of the tire then put the chain on tight and add air. On pretty much all my tractors the chains both front and rear need to be banjo tight to keep from wrecking things. Had one come lose on the road and hooked the cab fender, bent it and the actual cab structure up thus shattering a side window a few years ago. All the more reason I hate running them. Lol

Also they are hard on the floor in the shop, I have to put planks down to drive in and out.

Been pretty dry here. Haven't grazed much that was 12 inches tall all year. Fed many bales here last winter, rains finally returned and qhere I'd fed whole bales it has exploded with growth.

This is the third pass of the year. Definitely the best one yet. I'm planning to do this some more this winter.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1691450434258.jpg
    FB_IMG_1691450434258.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230807_182205.jpg
    20230807_182205.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230807_185811.jpg
    20230807_185811.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230807_182224.jpg
    20230807_182224.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 22
When I do run chains I let most of the air out of the tire then put the chain on tight and add air. On pretty much all my tractors the chains both front and rear need to be banjo tight to keep from wrecking things. Had one come lose on the road and hooked the cab fender, bent it and the actual cab structure up thus shattering a side window a few years ago. All the more reason I hate running them. Lol

Also they are hard on the floor in the shop, I have to put planks down to drive in and out.
You have a shop???? What's a shop?????????? :)

You have a shop???? What's a shop?????????? :)

A shop is a great investment to make machinery last more than a few years keeping it out of the sun and 20 feet of snow. Also allows a guy to fix and maintain equipment for myself and others in the cold snowy months when outdoor work is nearly impossible. It pays for itself in short order.

A shop is a great investment to make machinery last more than a few years keeping it out of the sun and 20 feet of snow. Also allows a guy to fix and maintain equipment for myself and others in the cold snowy months when outdoor work is nearly impossible. It pays for itself in short order.
Would like to make 2 or 3 bays of our shed closed off and doors thrown up. Seems invaluable at this point. Tired of working on a gravel driveway.

I spent years doing clutch jobs in a gravel driveway cussing them all the while. Not doing any maintaince from December thru April because working in -20 degrees and 10 foot of snow was nearly impossible. So I let a lot of maintaince go because by the time it was nice enough outside to work on stuff it was time to use it.

Now I go thru all the equipment in the winter doing any maintaince and repairs. My summer season downtime has been nearly cut to zero (for example this summer i covered nearly 1k hay acres and did nothing more than grease equipment). Since I enjoy turning wrenches I also buy "fixer-upper" equipment and work on it in my spare time, and also work on equipment for customers. Now I wonder why I waited so long to build the shop.

Latest posts