Bale Cutter

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows of different manufacturers that make bale cutters or the chain that you put on a chainsaw to cut round bales. We are going to be doing more hand feeding in our barn this year, and are looking for an easy way to feed haltered calves without having to buy square bales.

I know some people who use an electric chain saw to slice round bales. They claim it works well for them. The type of chain wouldn't matter so much as keeping it real sharp so it cuts the hay rather than pulling it out of the bale into the sprocket. Actually back baring (using the top of the saw bar) might work because it would be pushing the hay away from the motor rather than pulling to the motor.

I have another friend who sets the bales on the flat side and just unrolls it using a pitch fork and walking around the bales. It works fine but I wouldn't want to feed too many using this method.

dun":bb9ic8os said:
rc":bb9ic8os said:
I lay it down and unroll it as needed into a wheel barrow.

I stand it on end and do the same thing
Same here. Sure wouldn't want to breath all that hay dust cutting with saw. Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth

Dave":2l105uev said:
I know some people who use an electric chain saw to slice round bales. They claim it works well for them. The type of chain wouldn't matter so much as keeping it real sharp so it cuts the hay rather than pulling it out of the bale into the sprocket. Actually back baring (using the top of the saw bar) might work because it would be pushing the hay away from the motor rather than pulling to the motor.

I have another friend who sets the bales on the flat side and just unrolls it using a pitch fork and walking around the bales. It works fine but I wouldn't want to feed too many using this method.

Using the fork and walking around the bale is what we are doing now, but we are going to be having more calves in the barn with halters, and really just want to find something better. I had seen something on RFD where they used the cutters off of a cickle mower on some heavy steel and it went right through the bale. I just wasn't sure if anyone had seen something like that on the market.

Build a gizmo that has a spear that will go into each end. Weld the spears onto triangle racks that sit on the floor. Put hinges on the bottom attached to a rectangular frame, the size of the bale. With a long lever welded to the side of the rectangle you should be able to lift the bale just enough to clear the ground. Then just unwind it like a big spool of wire.
I have never built this thing but it works in my head. :roll:
OK first redesign. You will have to put a curve on one side of the triangle where in will roll up as you pull down on the lever.

If we're going to do that, we stand it on the end and go round and round and round with the pitchfork. Don't want to do that very much...

Latest posts