bale buggy

Help Support CattleToday:

peb

Reaction score
This question is for any of my neighbors that live in MO. I have seen several people hauling single bales of hay on a little buggy does any body have any ideal where i can get one, They look like they work rather well for a small farmer who does'nt want to start the old tractor up and get hay to the cows :idea:

I've seen this type a couple of times. Pretty simple but just one more piece of equipment to get in the way for us.

http://www.swdistributing.com/blue/tumblebug.html

dun

peb":ippyuncn said:
This question is for any of my neighbors that live in MO. I have seen several people hauling single bales of hay on a little buggy does any body have any ideal where i can get one, They look like they work rather well for a small farmer who does'nt want to start the old tractor up and get hay to the cows :idea:

We use one and its the greatest thing since sliced bread--if you don't use a tractor with a hay spike on the loader (or want to clutter up your 1 ton flatbed truck with a hay spear).

The "Tumblebug" unit is perhaps the "Standard". Think cost new around $1,000 to 1,200. We bought a used one for $485 and re-wired it and put newer used tires on it. Real stable on highway if you have to transport bales a ways--just don't go over 50 mph with bale on it...lol. And, don't go over 30 mph or so on a gravel road--no fenders on it and it is H--L on rear of one's truck--little rocks become missles.

I use one. It is a little different than the tumblebug model in the link above. The one I have has spikes sticking out the back and works like a bale spike on a tractor. It has a manual winch to lift the bale off the ground. Not too much work as my wife can operate it. I only paid $495 for it new last year.

i found a used one last year for $300 dollars. mine you pull the handle and back up toward the bale and it lowers the spikes, it slides under the bale and you drive forward it picks up the bale by itself. when you want to unload you pull the handle back up and bump it and it locks lowered and you drive away, you have to pull the handle again and it sets itself up again. i like it because i can do it with my pickup.

The one we have does not unroll the bales. It has a manual winch but is easy to operate. It sure comes in handy if we need to take a few bales to the leased land. It's about a 12 mile jaunt and it beats the heck out of hauling on the tractor. We bought ours at the Family Center in Farmington, MO about 5 years ago for $300.

What kind of wiring do you have to have on your truck to operate one of the tumblebug units? Do you have to have a brake controller in the truck also?

No, you don't have to have a trailer brake kit on the truck. Ours has electric brakes on the doodlebug, so we hooked up the wires to the headlights through a regular trailer wiring plug. You turn on the headlights and the brakes come on, you back up and dump the bail, turn off the lights and drive away. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this works great for me.

That's the same way we have ours set up.. with the light switch. Just remember to turn them off when you take off! :oops:

If you were closer I'd sell you mine.. we don't use it now that we're down to one place. But they are a nifty thing for hauling short distances

Latest posts