Baldys and inheritence

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Have a F1 Red Angus X Polled Hereford baldy cow sired by BC Hobo 1961, she just had her second calf, both solid red, not a white hair anywhere.
Her baldy half sister, same Polled Hereford cow but sired by Glacier Nyack 688 just calved this morning with a very baldy head/face.
All three calves were sired by different bulls, but it just seems peculiar that one baldy passes/passed the bald face and the other doesn't/hasn't.
Just one of those oddities that I'll never figure out, among gazillions of others that I won't ever figure out either.

dun

Genetics is a funny thing. You didn't mention what breed the sires were on the calves. The F2 generation is always inconsistent but if I knew the calves' sires breeding, I might be able to figure it out. Maendelian genetics is sort of a hobby of mine. Half the fun of being a commercial breeder is seeing what you get for a calf when you try crossing different breeds and from this you can sort of know what traits are dominant in your cows. For me calving is almost as good as christmas. It's always interesting to see if what I'm gonna get is what I'm expecting or whether it is omething else.

They're not F2's and the sires are Red Angus

dun

Cattle Rack Rancher":2yt74qgy said:
Genetics is a funny thing. You didn't mention what breed the sires were on the calves. The F2 generation is always inconsistent but if I knew the calves' sires breeding, I might be able to figure it out. Maendelian genetics is sort of a hobby of mine. Half the fun of being a commercial breeder is seeing what you get for a calf when you try crossing different breeds and from this you can sort of know what traits are dominant in your cows. For me calving is almost as good as christmas. It's always interesting to see if what I'm gonna get is what I'm expecting or whether it is omething else.

My mistake F2's would mean you were using a red baldy bull.
Let me see.
If we call the the white face WH and the none white face wh. First cross
WHWH (hereford)x whwh (red angus)=100% WHwh
or one WH gene and one wh gene.
second cross
WHwh (F1) x whwh (red angus) = 50%WHwh + 50% whwh
That was easy.
If you were using a red baldy bull
second cross
WHwh (F1) x WHwh (F1)= 25% WHWH + 50% WHwh +25% whwh
Looks to me like either cow could be a crapshoot as to whether they are white or red faced next time round
Yea, I already know I'm a geek!

That was sort of the point of the original post. I've just never seen an F! baldy halve a calf without a speck of white somewhere. I was shocked last year when she did it, disapppointed this year when she did. Maybe next year will be the jackpot year. Actaully I know it will because I have her slated to be bred to a Polled Hereford . If I don;t get a blady from that I'll just give up on the old girl.

dun

Cattle Rack Rancher":9zgbhwup said:
My mistake F2's would mean you were using a red baldy bull.
Let me see.
If we call the the white face WH and the none white face wh. First cross
WHWH (hereford)x whwh (red angus)=100% WHwh
or one WH gene and one wh gene.
second cross
WHwh (F1) x whwh (red angus) = 50%WHwh + 50% whwh
That was easy.
If you were using a red baldy bull
second cross
WHwh (F1) x WHwh (F1)= 25% WHWH + 50% WHwh +25% whwh
Looks to me like either cow could be a crapshoot as to whether they are white or red faced next time round
Yea, I already know I'm a geek!

Dun
I should know better. I know you know your stuff. I've always used natural service although I've thought of doing A.I. before. What sort of setup do you need and what are the costs on a per cow basis to do that on average?

You need some method of restraingin them for breeding. An alleyway, squeeze chute or even a forner behind a gate, depends on the cow. Semen runs 12-20 bucks a unit. There is a lot higher priced stuff, but the 15-16 dollar bulls are awfully good. You need a semen storage facility, either a tank or someone that will let you use space in theirs. The equipment for each breeding, a sleeve, a sheath, a little lube cost in the pennys.
The tank runs in the 450-650 range depending on what you get and how you get it. The gun runs about $20 a tweezers and straw cutter around another maybe another 7-8 bucks.
You need a trained AI tehnician, either hired or someone you have trained to do it. The biggest part is the commitment to heat detection.
It takes a real desire to do the job right and a willingness to make it succeed.

dun

Cattle Rack Rancher":1zs8zhbz said:
Dun
I should know better. I know you know your stuff. I've always used natural service although I've thought of doing A.I. before. What sort of setup do you need and what are the costs on a per cow basis to do that on average?