Baldy heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1":w6lfeb4b said:
The father of the guy that runs one of the local sale barns here told me killer cows brought 2$ lb recently.
"Yikes", was all I could say.
I don't keep up with markets much, but I never got that much for one.
I can't swallow that load of BS. No way kill cows brought $2 per lb.

piedmontese":1vqtlfbu said:
cmf1":1vqtlfbu said:
The father of the guy that runs one of the local sale barns here told me killer cows brought 2$ lb recently.
"Yikes", was all I could say.
I don't keep up with markets much, but I never got that much for one.
I can't swallow that load of BS. No way kill cows brought $2 per lb.

Read up a few posts. He corrected his typo. They were selling kills for $1.00 a pound.

Cattlemen in shock over cattle prices
There continues to be a "mind-
separation" from reality regarding the high price of cattle. We cattlemen ease around each other, secretly not believing we just sold 13 heifers weighing 480 pounds for $840 each. Or sold a cull bull weighing 1,605 for 74 cents a pound. He brought $1,200. Or sold 600 weight steers for over $1,000 apiece, or bought 20 bred first-calf heifers for $1,680 each.
It is the happiest coffee shop table talk I've heard since the Osama went down! The most common comment, said with a sideways grin and the shake of the head that I hear is, "Man, I can't believe it!"
http://amarillo.com/news/2014-02-14/bla ... tle-prices

Isomade":hk5nvlx0 said:
That is NOT too high if they are indeed nice and uniform.

It's hard to say from the pics but they didnt all look replacement quality

Weren't they 1600 hundred yesterday or did I just remember it wrong ?

Cattle imports decline in 2013, imports show strong growth
Updated: 02/14/2014
U.S. cattle imports in 2013 totaled 2.028 million head, a decline of 11.2 percent from 2012. Imports fell due to slowing shipments from Mexico (-32.6 percent), despite higher shipments from Canada (+27.5 percent).
Beef exports show strong growth, imports moderately higher in 2014
U.S. beef exports rose 5 percent in 2013 to 2.583 billion pounds.
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-new ... 81601.html

cross_7":1tvc8kw0 said:
Isomade":1tvc8kw0 said:

I didn't see. But all things being equal when I wean mine this Summer it will take 1500 to buy them.

Isomade":2mhvzqm4 said:
cross_7":2mhvzqm4 said:
Isomade":2mhvzqm4 said:

I didn't see. But all things being equal when I wean mine this Summer it will take 1500 to buy them.

I'll take them if you hold them over and calve'em out then I'll come get them

You're too late. They are spoken for from the same ranch that bought last years group.

cross_7":tehuukr5 said:
Brute 23":tehuukr5 said:
cross_7":tehuukr5 said:
They have a little ear

Because they have ear they arent a true baldy? :lol2:

I always thought a true baldie was angus/Hereford, no ear

Thats what it says if you google it. Sounds like marketing bs.

1/2 and 1/2 is 1/4 too much Herford. Replace that 1/4 with some Brahma if you want some mommas. :hide:

cross_7":oo1oajlu said:
That's what some call them

Replacement Heifers for Sale: 42 - Brangus Blady Heifers - Texas
That's what I've always heard that cross called. Hereford bull X Brangus cows.

Looks like this bunch sold--asking price was $1600--"negotiable"--maybe he got $1600--maybe not.
http://www.cattlerange.com/310C456-201/310C456-201.html

No, not at all out of line.
The sale prices I posted are over a month old and prices have gone/\ some since then.

Heifers #1
300-400 lbs ......... 175-215
400-500 lbs ......... 165-190
500-600 lbs ......... 155-180
600-700 lbs ......... 150-170
700-800 lbs ......... 140-160

Young Pregnancy Test Stocker Replacement Cows 950 to 1575

Cow & Calf Pairs
Young Choice ... 1650 to 1950
Young Fair ........ 1350 to 1650
Aged Pairs ........ 1000 to 1350

greybeard":35zlaw8a said:
cross_7":35zlaw8a said:
That's what some call them

Replacement Heifers for Sale: 42 - Brangus Blady Heifers - Texas
That's what I've always heard that cross called. Hereford bull X Brangus cows.

Looks like this bunch sold--asking price was $1600--"negotiable"--maybe he got $1600--maybe not.
http://www.cattlerange.com/310C456-201/310C456-201.html

Seen them bring more than that. Heck I paid more than that for one from a little 4H girl and thought I am out of my mind.
Looking what is out there the cow is in line with current pricing. I gave 1800 for this heifer last spring.
It is a commercial 4H FFA show and she is halter broke, hate to see what I might bring home in April when I go to the commercial show and sale. The Mrs. is going this year that always cost me extra she bought a Brangus 20 years ago cause most of the buyers had left and the little girl was crying. She had drawn the last spot in the sale and it was only us and two other buyers left. Those tears cost me 2000 dollars.
If I remember right my wife made sure she brought close to top dollar. I started the bidding and she bid, I said you know you are bidding against me and it is the same checkbook. She said yep I bowed out and she kept raising the bid. I sat there and bit my bottom lip until she finished.

Brute 23":3fc7avzi said:
1/2 and 1/2 is 1/4 too much Herford. Replace that 1/4 with some Brahma if you want some mommas. :hide:

Brahma might be fine for S Texas, but in S Dakota our winters would soon fix those Brahma ears! :hide:

I've often wondered how the offspring of a 1/2 Herford X Gelbvieh Balancer (1/2 Angus X 1/2 Gelbvieh) baldy cow bred to a Charolais bull would turn out. :idea:

My personal all time favorite is a black baldy bred Char. Purdy! :nod:

Latest posts