Baldy calves

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcochran said:
If you planned to keep the calf as a replacement I get the concern. If you plan to feed out and sell, do you think the color matters very much as long as the calf models good and has all the markers the buyers are looking for?
The last three breeding cycles I have bread to a registered Simental bull that is red with a white face. Great bull with excellent traits and background. I raise mainly Angus & Angus/Simental cross but have a few cows that are half Angus/half Polled Herford. They drop a good calf but the colors have been odd on a few calf's. Here is the most recent calf off one of them. Good bodied calf and strong but ugly as sin to me. What do you think?
I like those red white face/brockle face calves. Nothing wrong with em to me

This will make the 3rd year we have used Hereford bulls on our mostly black cows. Have a few Hereford cows and a few RA. We only use the Hereford bulls on black cows. One of the reasons we started using Hereford bulls was to raise baldie heifers. Our intent was too keep some and sell the rest as breds or first calf pairs. We did use a Balancer bull 5 & 6 years ago so a few of our cows have a little Gelveigh in them. One of the Hereford bulls we have used
has sired a couple of solid calves and several with just a small snippett of white. Maybe a streak a1/4" wide and an inch long. The other Herefords have sired 100% baldies or mostly white face. I have had this discussion several times before. I feel the solid calves or mostly solid calves happen more frequently than we realize as many times a breeder either has Angus bulls or borders pastures with Angus so you just assume an Angus bred them. But when you have isolated pastures and any bull in the area is a Hereford it becomes more obvious. When you see it in more than one calf crop with a certain sire and not the other sires IMO it is apparent what the issue is. Baldy bred heifers or heifer pairs bring more here. So I feel I'm leaving money on the table with every solid calf. The AHA has acknowledged the issue. I have came to the point I don't care to discuss it anymore. Simpler to handle the issue myself and move on. I have discussed this with SPH and others. Have been called a liar by one person but not SPH. I visit these forums to share experiences and views and too learn. It isn't worth an argument, name calling and hard feelings. I would like to know what bloodlines the issue occurs in for my own selection purposes but have resigned myself to the fact it isn't going to happen. I can cull a bull when it happens and move on.

Some Angus cows (black) can have a recessive red gene. Add any red breed you can get a red. I have seen this before. I love cattle breeding so many variables. I have a Hereford/ Angus cow mated to a black and white speckle Park. I got a red roan calf. I was a bit disappointed but she has grown out nice.

OzssieDave19 said:
Some Angus cows (black) can have a recessive red gene. Add any red breed you can get a red. I have seen this before. I love cattle breeding so many variables. I have a Hereford/ Angus cow mated to a black and white speckle Park. I got a red roan calf. I was a bit disappointed but she has grown out nice.
If you got a red roan calf out of your Speckle Park - you now know that your Park is carrying 1 red gene. You must inherit a red gene from BOTH sire & dam.

kentuckyguy said:
I have a hereford cow that throws calves without a solid white face. Probably some simmy somewhere in her.
This calf was out of a registered black angus bull.
z0aqLa5.jpg

Here is this year's calf out of a hereford bull
LxQybEd.jpg

I'm not surprised that you have a Hereford cow that throws calves that don't have a solid white face, and I wouldn't assume that indicates some Simmental blooc. I've had many Hereford x Brangus calves that were either blaze-faced, like yours, or mottle-faced. Good-looking cow and calves, by the way, especially the Hereford calf.

Muddy said:
Super late for this cow but she just had her fifth set of twins. Both are bulls
Wow that's amazing.

My dad had a shorthorn back in the 70's that had three sets of twins in a row and raised them all. Lightning got her.

kentuckyguy said:
I have a hereford cow that throws calves without a solid white face. Probably some simmy somewhere in her.
This calf was out of a registered black angus bull.
z0aqLa5.jpg

Here is this year's calf out of a hereford bull
LxQybEd.jpg
I bought a herd of polled herefords years ago from an old man that never ran anything but herfs. Had one of them that always threw a solid black face calf out of black Simmental bulls. Maybe had a little white on the udder, but nowhere else.