Baldridge Colonel C251

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this bull? He has the phenotype, and his numbers look decent. His milk epd looks to be a little low, albeit his accuracies are a still low too. His sire and dam are both in the mid to upper 20's, so maybe he will come around too. His $M is in the bottom 30%...a 4 year old bull should have some daughters out there working, what are they like? Looks like his calves will perform well in every sector of the industry from weaning to the rail? Photos of offspring get you extra credit! :cboy:

Been wanting to use him myself but haven't pulled the trigger. SydGen just sold a son SydGen KCF Gavel for 80k 1/3 interest is at Origen
https://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=1431

We had 3 Colonel calves last spring. One bull calf was born weighing over 100 lbs and became a real nice steer sold as an Angus show steer (dam does have some BW to her). One made the bull sale pen, scanned pretty well for RE, Marb and Fat - dog gentle. Kept a heifer for a replacement. She was a wallflower until about 60 days after weaning and then turned into a really nice looking heifer that is also very gentle. She also scanned well.

Looking at a number of Colonel progeny the last couple of years, the bulls seem to have some extra skin at the navel though the sheath appears fairly clean on most of them. The extra navel skin seems to go back to Colonel's sire, Baldridge Xpand x743 and you will see the same trait on the videos of his progeny as well. It is not a look that I like.

Our bull in the sale pen passed his BSE with flying colors. Planning on breeding the heifer to Mohnen Substantial for her first calf.

How did that Colonel heifer turn out for you? - Did you keep her in your herd? Thanks
She is a good cow, weans off a good calf every year. However, her teats are not that great. Kind of long and floppy. Haven't had to help one her calves yet. Udder structure is fine. Her dam was a good uddered and teated cow. I have a daughter from her by my Gardens Wave son that has no issues and raised a real nice calf this year. So, good cow and only knock is her teats could be better. I would score her a 5 on suspension and 3 on teat size. https://www.angus.org/Performance/documents/Teat_Udder_Scoring_Guideline_2021.pdf
She has NR 3@105.
I have not used Colonel since. He does not PAP very well.

Last edited:

Latest posts