Baldies or Blacks

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
In my area black is usually dominant at the sale barn. And for good reason, it usually gets more money that others. But baldies are also getting just as much or sometimes more money. What is the popular breeds in your area that make the most money and is this true with baldies as well?

Also, I am thinking about buying 10-15 head of hereford replacement heifers to go along with our Bull that throws mostly black calves. The bull is a cross bull that we really liked, he is not a specific breed. Would he throw baldie calfs with Hereford cows?

If the Herefords are straightbred and not a mix you will get about 50:50 red baldys/black Baldys

The bull is a cross bull that we really liked, he is not a specific breed. Would he throw baldie calfs with Hereford cows?

Probably, if the herefords are straightbred.

You'll be money ahead to rather buy a good angus bull for those hereford heifers. A crossbred bull partly looks good because of heterosis, and unfortunately that isn't heritable. A good registered angus bull will atleast give you a uniform calf crop, something that the crossbred bull is unlikely to do.

The baldy factor at the sale barn has been discussed at length many times in this forum.

The most money I have ever received for any one commercial animal was a 2 year old heavy bred baldy.

Thanks, for all yalls responses.
One other question, say I have a baldy cow that is bred to my mix bull that throws mostly black calves. Would i get a motely face calf or would it be a toss-up on what comes out. I am just trying to weigh my options here on what I can do to maximize profits.

After the first cross with Herefords it's a crap shoot as to what the markings will be. We have F1 baldys that bred to a Red Angus bull won;t put a single white har on the calf, others no matter what they're bred to will throw baldys or brockle faces

dun":2upip9xe said:
After the first cross with Herefords it's a crap shoot as to what the markings will be. We have F1 baldys that bred to a Red Angus bull won;t put a single white har on the calf, others no matter what they're bred to will throw baldys or brockle faces
Brockle face - that's a new one on me. Is that like motley face?

farmwriter":2vyvubmh said:
dun":2vyvubmh said:
Brockle face - that's a new one on me. Is that like motley face?
The one in your avatar is mottled, this one is brockle:
stella.jpg