Baldies and freezer beef...

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
I have two baldy heifers that are 75% Hereford 25% angus, one red, one black. What breed of bull would you suggest to use on these to make good freezer beef calves? Absolutely want calving ease, but would like to take full advantage of the crossbreeding. I have been looking at Red Poll, but am not sure if that would help on the yield. I would also like to keep finished size around 1200lbs give or take a hundred. All this on a grass based program, no corn.

Craig":15hv3x2p said:
Can anyone tell me what wagyu would bring to this mix?

Yep a good case of noassatal and 3 years to finish on grass! Go with the red poll. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Craig":y3h9hg88 said:
I have two baldy heifers that are 75% Hereford 25% angus, one red, one black. What breed of bull would you suggest to use on these to make good freezer beef calves? Absolutely want calving ease, but would like to take full advantage of the crossbreeding. I have been looking at Red Poll, but am not sure if that would help on the yield. I would also like to keep finished size around 1200lbs give or take a hundred. All this on a grass based program, no corn.

Red Poll is going to do several things to improve your carcass for freezer beef.

Increase Rib Eye size, increase your yield with less fat, and most importantly increase the tenderness.

The last one we butchered weighed 1,220 lbs and had a hanging weight of 790 lbs. He graded high choice and had a rib eye that was cut 1 inch thick that weighed 13.5 ounces.

i am with jovid red poll would be a great choice, i have been crossong red polls on angus and char cows and so far i really like the calves, they are born easy and have lots of grow and muscle in them,

How about Limosin?
Easy calving, heavy muscling, fine grained leaner meat, & good cuttability. In Canada, they won the carcass competion for a number of years in a row.
With that said, make sure you find a good breeder that has been breeding for calm disposition, as they tend to be a fence jumper...
Nite Hawk

Would Gelbveih be ok to use, or are they hard calvers? I was also considering Galloway, but I'm not sure if they are suitable calving wise on these crossbreds.

i think i would use what ever bull was handy on 2 heifers, but if you want a red poll i am sure john or i can find you a breeder in your area or semen, if you want to use ai

Craig":3ac2pr8a said:
Can anyone tell me what wagyu would bring to this mix?

The Wagyu will give you better beef quality, higher marbling, and more tenderness. The Wagyu breed is a slower growing/maturing breed, and as stated, not much in the rear quarter. They do have close to the same size ribeye and other select cuts as an angus. Just depends on what you want for freezer beef as to what you should breed with, I prefer high quality beef that isn't like chewing on a piece of shoe leather. ;-) I started using my fullblood Wagyu bull on some of my angus cows this year. It always amazes me why everyone is so concerned about the least desirable part of the cow/bull, the rear quarter. :roll:

Craig":3ahlc2sv said:
Would Gelbveih be ok to use, or are they hard calvers? I was also considering Galloway, but I'm not sure if they are suitable calving wise on these crossbreds.

Black Galloway bred to that cross would work very well. Steers would feed well. Heifers would make awesome cows.