Baldie / Black Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Very simple, they ARE black baldys just with a couple more generations of Hereford.

I just bought a three year old Black Herford. Wasn't looking for one but had a guy wanting to sell his bull. This particular bull has nice eye appeal. Good disposition, easy keeper with nice length. I agree with Dun...its a black white face.

John Reb":2dlc5grr said:
How did they get this colorization? I'm accustomed to seeing Baldies, black with white face, but have never seen this. Just curious. Hope you can open the link.

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/c/c1/0140.jpg

There's a long thread on black Hereford I think in the breeds board. Search black Hereford and you should find it.

Deepsouth":2c2s03o1 said:
John Reb":2c2s03o1 said:
How did they get this colorization? I'm accustomed to seeing Baldies, black with white face, but have never seen this. Just curious. Hope you can open the link.

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/c/c1/0140.jpg

There's a long thread on black Hereford I think in the breeds board. Search black Hereford and you should find it.

There are several post on that black cross here, as stated do a search, but you probably only need to read one to get the jest of them.

Don't get lost in the hype on Herefords and pink or cancer eye. It's no more a problem these days then it is in most other breeds.

Thanks Y'all....... tried searching earlier but came up with naught..... may be a computer thing .....

It isn;t difficult. Some Hereford breeders decided to cash on on the black cattle market so they bred some black baldys and started a breed association.

dun":3k8nw4dm said:
It isn;t difficult. Some Hereford breeders decided to cash on on the black cattle market so they bred some black baldys and started a breed association.

Yup it's really pretty simple. Everybody loves their black hided gelbviehs, simmys, and limis but scream and holler about these boys.

Jake":2irc9unm said:
dun":2irc9unm said:

Yup it's really pretty simple. Everybody loves their black hided gelbviehs, simmys, and limis but scream and holler about these boys.
it's kinda reinvented the wheels....

I have a cow that is 50% hereford and 50% holstein with that exact color pattern... Sadly, after spending the summer with my dad's holstein dry cows eating their fancy feed, she is probably bigger than that bull... She is MASSIVE! Roughly 2200 (+/-100) pounds, looks like a plate of gelatin when she runs to the barn for her corn silage... Only has 1 working teat, but still managed to wean off a 450 pound shorthorn X (breeder used a showy shorthorn, not a good commercial shorthorn) bull calf (born October 20th and weaned/weighed February 15th) without creep feed, with good 4th cutting hay, through a typical MN winter last year... Decided to hold her over for breeding so she could have an April calf and see what she does with grass to eat. Only took 1 breeding too... If I could take off 600 pounds from her then i would love to have a herd of cows just like her. The bull calf didn't even take a beating from his shorthorn influence at the sales barn, and managed to pay for all the hay I fed at that location (the baldy cow/calf pair and another hereford X holstein X something that can transfer brindle mamma raising a red angus calf and an adopted holstein X charolais heifer calf were all I had there) for the entire year.

Jake":56h5v30y said:
dun":56h5v30y said:

Jake,

I couldn't agree with you more!

tnwalkingred":3knoakyj said:
Jake":3knoakyj said:
dun":3knoakyj said:

Jake,

I couldn't agree with you more!
Yup Black Hereford is all about black rage and nothing other else.

Wrong taurus, I don't have a problem with black herfs in commercial use. My big problem is how they are marketing their breed. For example; the black Hereford assoc move their headquarters to K.C. MO, guess we're the American Hereford Assoc is located? They are trying to cash in on Herefords when they are not a Hereford and the AHA does not recognize them as a Hereford.

This topic has been beaten in the ground thru the years and every point has been made many times. If one does a search or goes to the link dun provided they can see most of the argument.

Long story short I'm going do my best to not get into a discussion on this worn out topic.
:tiphat:

Jake":23hfinab said:
dun":23hfinab said:

I couldn't give two shakes about anyone else, and I saw what the fuss was about. If you're going to sell breeding stock, they at least need to appear like a quality animal.

That ought to do it.... :hide:

Latest posts