Bald spots on cows and bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have two bred cows and one bull that have developed bald spots on their bodies. There is no sign of redness or infection but just loss of hair in a few areas around the whole body. They seem to be spending a lot of time scratching and rubbing on things. Is this just cows trying to get rid of their winter coat or a more serious sign of something. They have been eating and drinking fine. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brandon":2a7v66qz said:
I have two bred cows and one bull that have developed bald spots on their bodies. There is no sign of redness or infection but just loss of hair in a few areas around the whole body. They seem to be spending a lot of time scratching and rubbing on things. Is this just cows trying to get rid of their winter coat or a more serious sign of something. They have been eating and drinking fine. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brandon- sounds like lice to me- You need to pour all your cattle with a de-licer.

I had a horse that did this and it turned out to be some type of fungus. I washed him down with a chlorox and water mixture and it cleared up. The vet recomended some kind of sulphur bath, but an oldtimer told me chlorox worked just as good and less expensive. It worked.

I'm not sure if this will work on cows though? The only hair loss I've had on cows was on the top of the neck from rubbing the hay ring.

I agree with the "Oldtimer", sounds like lice. You have to treat them to kill the bugs and then treat again a short while later to get the eggs that have hatched.

;-)

The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I used synergized delice and it helped right away to get them to stop scratching their hair out You do need to repeat the treatment in a couple weeks. I just wish the hair would grow back as fast because they do look a little funny!

I'll gpo along with Oldtimer. We had no lice problems all winter, now that they're out on pasture we have a couple that are starting to show signs. Strange that it should be showing up now.

dun

Oldtimer":12z6sq36 said:
Brandon- sounds like lice to me- You need to pour all your cattle with a de-licer.

Lice! My herd was doing the same exact thing and my vet was out treating a cow for me so I had him to check my herd--LICE! Treated them and they are doing better.

Latest posts