Bald Spots on Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Guitarboss

Reaction score
This is our first set of calves. We bought them at a sale about a month ago. When we first brought them home they had the scours and we lost one of the four. We have given them terramycin and pretty much gotten that cleared up but have now encountered a new problem. Over the past three days all three have developed small dime sized spots on them where their hair has fallen out. At first the hair just looked discolored - but then started falling out. When we first noticed this we thought that it may have been from some fertilizer that we just put out. We thought maybe they layed on the fertilizer and it stained their coat. We are feeding them creep and keeping hay out as well. We are only turning them out on grass every other day. They are eating and drinking just fine.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

I was unable to post a picture for some reason.

The fertilizer was put out and watered in about 3-4 days before them getting the spots. It was 15-15-15.
The spots are mainly on their sides and on their legs but they do have a few spots on their faces above and around their noses.

Not sure - I wish that I could post a picture. Its a bunch of small dime sized spots. The skin doesnt look irritated - its just bare.

Without seeing it kind of hard. I'm wondering about cryptosporidia, the scours make me think in that direction the dime shape sounds more like ring worm.

Larry

There asre a couple potential problems with applying fertilizer to a pasture with cattle in it.

In the future I would shift then somewhere else for awhile - like a couple weeks or put up a wire and fertilize half and graze half then switch. Depends on your situation and acres and fences etc.

The time really depends on rainfall. Watering it in may or may not be the same. jmho. Jim

Latest posts